2nd revision... not my choice :-(

deannag70
on 8/4/13 11:11 am - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

Hi.  I have a problem and wondering if anyone else has had this situation. I had a lap band in 2004, revised to a sleeve in 2009.  I've had really bad acid reflux the last year and regained about 25 lbs.  I went to the gastro dr about the reflux and after an EGD and Bravo monitoring, he said my stomach has changed shape (hourglass) and herniated and I need a revision (again) so he sent me to a bariatric surgeon.  The bariatric surgeon agrees I need something done but wants to refer me to someone with more experience because of the risk.  He wants me to go to bypass (I don't want too) and isn't sure that it will fix my issue; he thinks I may have develped food intolerences also.  I'm really bummed.  I love my sleeve, but wake up frequently during the night throwing up (coming out my nose and also aspirating into my lungs).  Has anyone else had this many issues and required a second revision.  The dr said the incidence of leaks is much higher with each surgery. 

TamaraL
on 8/4/13 11:23 am

I would really, really be concerned that even with a revision that I would still have heart burn. My heart burn was so bad with the lap band that my surgeon did not even consider the sleeve.  There is such a high percentage of people that have the sleeve, knowing my luck i would have been another one.

be open and do your research about what they need to do and why.  If they did the sleeve again would your stomach herniate again??.

if you do the bypass understand you may have to take vitamins the rest of your life due to malabsorption of vitamins. 

Will your insurance pay for another revision?? do your research on that too before you go head first

Tamara

deannag70
on 8/4/13 12:08 pm - Grapevine, TX
Revision on 10/21/13

Insurance will pay because of the throwing up during my sleep and aspirating into my lungs, which is very dangerous, in addition to the severe reflux.  The revision isn't for weight loss reasons.  I actually went to the dr expecting him to change my medication, not tell me I needed surgery but both the gastroenterologist and surgeon agree I need it for health reasons. 

Lisa O.
on 8/5/13 2:51 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Night cough reflux is no good at all!  It's very dangerous as well as extremely unpleasant.  I haven't had revision yet, but my surgeon will not perform the Sleeve on me because of my history with reflux.  He told me that it's the number one long term side effect for the sleeve. 

I will revise to RNY in October if insurance approves.

Best of luck in your decision, 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

TamaraL
on 8/5/13 10:46 am

Hey Lisa O.  You were my hero when i had my lap band. i know you are sad but anxious about having the revision. 

I have to tell you I woke up from the surgery and felt 200% better.  I could honestly have went home the same day after revision surgery.  I know thats crazy sounding but its the truth.  I felt so good that I was actually walking around the mall 2 or 3 days after surgery and walked 2.6 miles soon after. 

Tamara

Lisa O.
on 8/6/13 1:58 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Thank you, Tamara!  I did love my Lap Band but now it's time for phase II.

I'd love to hear more about your transition to RNY.  How long did you stay in the hospital?  How long are you going to be on liquids?  Please keep us posted.

I have my last supervised WL session on Thursday and then they will submit to insurance for RNY.  I'm nervous but there's really no reason that they would deny me.  I sadly, meet the criteria as my BMI is back up to 36 and have a couple of co-morbidities like apnea and reflux, etc.  Well, better than the 46 BMI I had when  I had my Lap Band surgery.

I'll keep you posted too!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active