How long did you wait after Lab Band removal to get revision

Cindy W.
on 8/4/13 7:29 am - Madison, CT
I believe all erosions require a healing period before any revision, although from the information I read the amount of time seems to vary. My surgeon wanted me to wait 9-12 months after my erosion and I just had RNY on Wednesday-15 months (and all 80 pounds that I lost) later.

Hopefully you will get good news from your endoscopy and they can do both procedures at the same time.
Lisa O.
on 8/5/13 2:30 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi Montie, 

My surgeon will not ever do the revision at the same time as the removal because he wants the area to heal fully before attempting another surgery.  He is very conservative but has had very few complications compared to the averages.  I had my band removed in May and he wants me to wait 3-4 months before revising.   I will hopefully have RNY in October as long as insurance approves.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Lisa O.
on 8/5/13 2:35 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Oh, one more thing...my surgeon refuses to do a Sleeve on me because I suffer from chronic reflux and was experiencing night cough (gagging).  It's very dangerous and one can die from resperating bile.  Esophageal cancer is also a concern.  The number one long term complication for the Sleeve is reflux so he says no way!    Not all experience it, and many can be treated with meds, but with my history he said RNY only.  RNY is also sometimes used as a treatment for severe reflux according to my surgeon.

Best, 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

LastOptionAttorney
on 8/8/13 4:06 am

My Doc wanted me to wait as well but I heard a lot do it in one surgery. I guess better safe than sorry. I had other issues during the removal surgery so I found a new doctor but I am on track for the sleeve this Nov. I am doing all the pre -op work now and really trying to wrap my mind around having to have surgery again but I lost a little over 100 pounds and I have gained about half of that back 20-30 while I still had the band but I had so many fills and unfills it was crazy I was happy when it finally slipped truth be told.

The things I have read about the sleeve sound very promising I would be happy to just re-lose the extra 50 at this point. My new Doc said he doesn't like going from restrictive to restrictive but I m not 100% sold on the full gastric bypass so we will see!

Member Services
on 8/9/13 12:49 am - Irvine, CA

angry

Most Active