How long did you wait after Lab Band removal to get revision

mpafford
on 8/1/13 6:36 am - TX

Hello all,

I had Lap Band 2005. Had great success with it until about 4 yrs ago when i developed a dilation. all fluid removed and have gained 35-40 lbs of my 116 weight loss.

I am having tons of problems with reflux. Dr put me on RX but its getting worse. Waking up nights gagging.

My Dr. who put my band in is retired, and the one I have been seeing only does bands.

So I have a few Dr. appointments to check for revision.

One does it while removing the band, One makes you wait 6-8 weeks before doing the sleeve.

What has your Dr. advised and why?

I know its all depends on the situation, but i hate to do 2 surgeries.

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
airbender
on 8/1/13 12:20 pm

it really depends on what is wrong with your anatomy.  you really should have diagnostic tests to see what damage you have.  if you have been deflated and you are waking up gagging there is something going on.   if you have no issues then it should be done in one surgery, band explant, revision to vsg in on surgery.   I had too much damage,  and I also had a nissen fundoplication that no one wanted to take down first either, no one wanted to revise me as the band had trashed my body....and the 3 surgeons that would take me had a minimum of 6 months post band explant for me to wait....it ended up being 4 surgeries.....but I had the band for 8 years and I had significant permanent irreversible damage....

Sherrie P.
on 8/1/13 12:32 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

My band was fine.

It was removed and the RNY was done in one procedure.

He did warn me that if there was too much scar tissue (I was banded in 05) that he would have to remove the band and then let my tummy heal before the next step.  Luckily that did not happen. That was the first thing I asked when I woke up!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

reddhedgrl
on 8/8/13 3:55 pm
I had mine done in 1 surgery as well, and my dr warned me the same thing about the scar tissue... I had 'a staggering amount' but they did my RNY anyway.
tdbull
on 8/1/13 3:55 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Having endoscopy aug 5 and planning band removal, RnY and gallbladder removal in same procedure on. Aug 13.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/1/13 4:30 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13
I had my Band placed in 2006. I am having band to bypass revision next Thursday! My greatest fear is that when I wake up the Dr. will tell me he couldn't do the bypass and I'll have to wait. Nothing in my pre-op suggests this will be the case, but.....

I'd be sure to ask WHY in your case they feel 2 surgeries is the best for you? It's always best to know where the Dr. Is coming from - insurance demands it be in 2 phases, your unique problems with the band, Dr.'s experience level, etc..

I wish you luck and hope you can find someone that you trust. You can email me or friend me and I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Kimbaru
on 8/2/13 8:02 am - WA

I was banded on 2005 and had it removed this March.  My doc required a 3 month healing period.  He said that he found people had far fewer complications doing it that way.  In both the removal op and my sleeving he had to remove huge amounts of scar tissue.  I've been sleeved 8 weeks now and I'm down 46 pounds.

Kim

pineview01
on 8/2/13 10:16 am, edited 8/2/13 10:18 am - Davison, MI

The surgeon that was suppose to do the sleeve left the practice and he mad you wait at least 2 months.  The surgeon that did it likes you to wait 4-6 moths.  I was 4.5 months out and it worked out fine as it took me that long to get the insurance to pay.

The reason is to allow the stomach to heal from the band.  Which is removable but, not reversible.  The band always does some damage.  They pull the stomach over the band and stitch it to hold in place.  This causes a "hook and thinning" at the very lest.

I had tons of scaring around the port that was removed when the band was removed.  But, the surgeon spent the first 45 minutes of the sleeve surgery straightening up the stomach and removing adhesions before doing the sleeve.

I have been tracking band revisions and the one that have issue are done in one surgery.  Not all done in one surgery have issues though.  Go with the doc and good luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/13 4:59 am

Band to sleeve revision in one surgery 5 years ago.

Ladyintheloop
on 8/3/13 11:08 am - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Some people revise immediately.  I waited a few years until I gained my weight back (although I am not recommending that).  I've also read that if you have reflux or GERD then it might be worse if you revise to the sleeve.  I don't have any stats on that but you may want to look into it.

Most Active