Just made appointment to discuss revision.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/13 12:19 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been perusing the revision board. I just made an appointment today to speak to my surgeon to have revision from lap band to roux n y. I have know many, many,many people that have loved roux n y and have been very successful. I have also been told by many that they hated the band and revised to roux n y. At the time i just scoffed at that thought. I was going to be a successful bander. I wish I still had those people to talk to. I'd love to join your group and learn all that I can about this revision surgery. I would want to have 1 surgery. How long would that be? I had my band in 2007. I'm sick of throwing up healthy food and my band allows me to eat junk. i want to be healthy. I need to lose weight to be healthy. i keep losing and gaining the same 60 pounds. I only lose by STARVING. I have thrown up in plastic shopping bags, my trash can in my office, linen napkins in restaurants and once I was so desperate I had to empty the bread basket at a restaurant and tossed in the basket. I know, how gross. I am ashamed that I wasn't successful. Thank you for allowing me into your group.

pineview01
on 7/29/13 3:57 pm - Davison, MI

Usually the surgeon makes the choice rather you can have it done in one surgery.  My center makes you wait to heal from the band.  I too wanted it done in one.  But, once I learned why they did it in two surgeries I was glad they did it in two.  I don't think it makes as much a difference with band to RNY but, most are told they won't know for sure until they get in there.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/13 8:42 pm

Thanks for that info. If that is the case, I hope that I can have the band removed very soon. I had 3 reasons for wanting one surgery, the first is that I only wanted to go under once. I know that general anesthesia artificially make one critically ill, just on this side of death, and hope to oly have to do that once. My 2nd reason is work, I need to get back asap. The 3rd, is selfish, just one recovery. 

You are so right, though, I will have the conversation with my surgeon. I guess I am just salivating to hear all experiences. 

Anyone that would like to share, I am listening.

ohbearly
on 7/30/13 1:28 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

I am having my band removed tomorrow and revising to RNY in a single surgery. This seems to be the process my surgeon follows. I asked him about this at an earlier appointment. He told me there is less risk in a single surgery to the patient. I know this varies by surgeon. -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/13 4:12 am

Hi Tom,

Wishing you an easy, quick, and uneventful surgery. I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Please update us when you can so that we know you are doing alright. 

Did your surgeon tell you how long the surgery would take?

ohbearly
on 7/30/13 10:37 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

He told me 3 1/2 - 4 hours.

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

pineview01
on 7/30/13 7:04 am, edited 7/30/13 7:05 am - Davison, MI

You're right Tom!  Our center said they are basing their decision on advise from their association.  They are finding a much higher rate of leaks and a much harder recover in the band to sleeve in one, more risk to patient in one.  I didn't ask for stats on the band to RNY.  With the sleeve they have to slice and staple thru the weak spot from the band and with the band to RNY it is my understanding that they staple and cut along that area for the pouch.  Which is why some with erosion can't get the sleeve but can sometimes get the RNY.  Also the damage is not as bad in some as others.

That said some that get the band to sleeve in one have NO problems and and easy recovery.  Surgeons choice!  

OP, I agree with all your reasons and only changed my mind with medical advise and research.  If it had been my choice I would have gone for one surgery without doing the research.  That is why I am now glad it wasn't my choice.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/13 10:07 am

Great info. Thanks. You are right, too. These are just my thoughts and feelings. I'm not a doc. I want to do what is safest and healthiest, for sure.

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/1/13 5:19 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13
Wow, just reading the last few lines of your post was like reading my own journal entries! I can't count how many times I've raced from a restaurant table, my mouth full of saliva that won't go down only to pray I won't have to wait in line to throw up.
I too felt ashamed of my regain.. It was so hard to explain that I can't eat and swallow and keep down "healthy" foods (forget chicken, fish, fibrous veggies). I cried when I finally had the courage to go back to my weight loss center and the NUT just nodded when I told her what had been going on and she said well of course it must come out. Let's look at your revision options. That was the 25th of April and my surgery is next Thursday.

My surgeon won't place Bands anymore as they have such a high failure rate and can cause so many problems long term. The sleeve wasn't an option for me as I need more than portion control, and my band has caused severe acid reflux and ulcers. As my BMI is on the lower end, DS wasn't an option either.

I really hope your appointment goes well and you feel good about your options! I'll send you a friend request so we can support one another if you'd like.

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

kbinaz
on 8/5/13 11:38 am

Hello, I just had appointment with my surgeon to discuss revision. (Thursday 8/1)  I was planning to revise to the sleeve, but surgeon said she would much rather revise lap band patients to RNY.  Apparently the Vagus Nerve in some lap band patients 'turns off' and stops working.  In order for the sleeve to work you have to have a functioning Vagus Nerve.  If your VN is not functioning the sleeve doesn't work and you are miserable for a few months when hopefully the VN turns back on.  If it doesn't, they take you back in and do RNY anyway.  She will do the sleeve on band patients if you have two surgeries - waiting four months between, but I was not interested in having two more surgeries!  Also, she said there are more post- op complications with the sleeve than with RNY. I thought the sleeve surgery was much less invasive or drastic than RNY but when she showed me both they seem to be quite similar - both cut the stomach.  

Most Active