Challenges faced as a new RNY post-op revising from a Lapband

sunshinetari
on 7/31/13 3:53 pm - oakland, CA
RNY on 07/22/13

I am 9 days out from band to bypass revision and though its all still fresh I can immediately feel the difference in restriction. I Actually feel full right now instead of restricted which is different. Also I think I am healing pretty great compared to last time. I dont know if thats just bc I have been through it before or what, but the  pain is gone, I am up walking and being pretty active. I am able to keep down my liquids and mushy stuff. A huge difference for me is that I cant tolerate the taste of anything sweet. the protein shakes, pudding, jello etc are all blech! If you want you can msg me and we can be in touch as we go through this. good luck!!

ohbearly
on 8/1/13 8:07 pm, edited 8/2/13 3:03 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Thanks for the message. I am now on my 2nd day postoperative and doing extremely well. I will be on clear liquids for the next 2weeks. My surgeon is cautious on these revision since the chance of keek is significant. I passed the upper gi with flying colors. I have another in 1week. It has been less traumatic than expected. Of course I am on much pain meds. The test will be the coming week at home. Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Ashley in Belgium
on 8/2/13 5:45 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Tom - I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that the surgery is a success!  

I lurk here more often than I post, but I have been very grateful to you for your post and look forward to reading the answers you receive about the new challenges we will be dealing with post Band to RNY.  My revision is in 5 days so maybe I'll have something more to contribute then...

In the meantime, I hope things continue for you on this positive note!  Please keep us posted!

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Sherrie P.
on 8/1/13 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I hated with a burning passion the band.  I thought it would be awesome.  I was banded in 2005 and finally unfilled in 2009 after losing a whopping 27 pounds and being miserable.

On July 1st of last year my company changed insurance policies and revision became a possibility.  After an initial denial and appeal in September, I was revised on 2/6/2013.

BEST thing I have ever done.  I feel full, not like I am choking to death.  I am losing weight.  Nothing gets "stuck" - I do have more nausea and generalized "stomach" stuff - but it is totally worth it.  The constipation has been brutal, but now under control.

I should have NEVER EVER gotten the band.  I am so glad that it is gone for ever.

I have had no challenges, other than remembering to take all the vitamins.  I sad face every now and then when I can't have a milk shake or a margarita - but then I glance in the mirror and it is all worth it.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

ohbearly
on 8/1/13 8:17 pm - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Sherrie, I had a relatively good experience with the band and enough weight (90 pounds) to improve my health and become an active person. As you point out, the down side is the stuck food. I thought I learned mv lessons but at the strangest times, it would get stuck. When the serious acid reflux and burping up undigested food in bed 3 hous after dinner, I knew something was not right. I look forward to a better eating experience. Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Teneene
on 8/2/13 11:01 am - CT
Revision on 05/08/13

Hi Tom, my experience is that recovering from Lap Band to RNY revision surgery was definitely tougher.  I had no issues with Lap Band surgery, but with RNY it was harder for me and I was tired much longer.  I ended up getting dehydrated and had to be admitted back into the hospital for one night to get my IV fluids and Potassium in me.  Totally underestimated the revision surgery because I based everything on my Lap Band surgery experience.  I'm now really focused on getting my fluids in so I don't have to go back in the hospital which is very different from Lap Band.  I'm also really focused on getting in my vitamins and making sure I don't eat too much.  I've noticed if I eat one spoonful too much I get really nauseous.  I'm down for the count after that and I have to give it time before I can recover.  I don't know if this is what dumping is like or not, I'm afraid to try anything with sugar in it so I'm not even willing to see if dumping is like that. 

On the flip side, I've surpassed my lowest weight with Lap band and I've lost over 40 pounds since May.  I'm pleased with my results so far and I guess I'm not done losing, but I'm happy with my weight right now too.

Most Active