Why did you get rid of the lap band?

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/13 9:05 pm

Greetings,

My reasons for wanting to revise is two fold, I keep losing and gaining the same 60 pounds. I only lose when I go on a starvation diet! I am sick of throwing up in trash cans all over the state, napkins, plastic bags in the passenger seat of the car, and I even had to empty a bread basket and use it right at the dinner table. This thing is NOT my friend. It was a mistake. I was banded in 2007 and it has been nothing but a shameful experience.

pineview01
on 8/1/13 1:31 pm - Davison, MI

I sure Identify with this, I ALWAYS kept an empty cup in the car for throwing up in.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kidda G.
on 7/29/13 11:31 pm
My Weight loss was minimal. When I did lose 30lbs it was working out 6 days a week a minimum of 90 minutes a day & eating minimal calories despite that I had trouble eating healthy meats @ veggies but could eat "junk food" with no problem. Then keeping the weight off was still a struggle....constant vomiting led to problems with throat (laryngitis) and my teeth (with old fillings). I developed severe reflux too. I developed a hiatal hernia as well. After 5 years I'd had enough. Revision to Rny was best decision I've made!
DefyingGravity
on 7/30/13 11:59 am

I was banded in December 2007.  For the most part things have been great... started out in the 260's... stayed comfortably in the 155-168 range for YEARS.  Then in Feb 2013 I developed dysphagia--- I couldn't swallow anything.  Plus I started having acid reflux. Complete unfill. Since February I'm now up into the 180's and climbing.  I am trying to diet, and I'm horrible at it.  I exercise, but it's not enough.

I have an appt tomorrow to hopefully talk about a revision. I can't go back to being fat.

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/13 2:44 pm - columbia, KY

I was banded ib June 2004 and had great results until around oct 2012 at which time my fill was way too tight and had to have fluid removed, i started gaining weight immediately because for some reason they removed all the fluid instead of just some, here it is Sept 2013 and i am still gaining and they just cant seem to get it right.  I do not know what happened the doc says everything is ok with the band but something isnt right or i wouldnt keep gaining my weight back, i am only 60 pounds away from where i started when i first had the surgery and i am really getting disgusted, i swore i would never be fat again and i went through hell and back to lose the 100 lbs i lost.  I ask the dr about getting a revision and he looked at me like i was stupid and said why would you want to go through another surgery, well duh... I go back in a couple weeks for another fill, i will try one more time and if no results, i will find another dr, which i hate to do but i will not be fat again..I dont know if after so long the band stretches out, i dont know but until they had removed fluid, it was all good...i am very disheartened

pineview01
on 9/11/13 2:07 pm - Davison, MI

You are going thru what many of us did.  Check out the failed band group and arm yourself when you go back. Document all your fills and unfills.  Every time I was too tight or to lose I would get a fill/unfill which paid off when the insurance denied me. and I could document all my medical problems with the band.

The reason it gets too tight after no problems is scar tissues builds under the band.  I too was told my band was perfect.  I had it totally unfilled twice and when they scoped me they found esophagealitis and gastritis.

Good Luck and pm if you need help.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active