Approved RNY revision from band- Nervous

Ceithlenn
on 7/23/13 12:40 pm - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

So I get the phone call at 8:30 am this morning and the insurance lady sounds disappointed, I am ready for bad news and then she says, "Your Approved!".

I am excited for a few seconds and then go into a panic.. 

I am so happy I am getting a second chance at this process after having my band overfilled for so long nothing was seeming to work. 

Anyone have this revision? If so if you have time can you tell me a little about how your journey has gone. 

Heather

pineview01
on 7/23/13 2:01 pm - Davison, MI

If your read thru the post here you will see many that went before you getting this revision.  Most of the revisions here are from band to RNY, VSG or DS.  You will be so happy to get your band removed.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

tdbull
on 7/23/13 2:13 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I am having band removal to RNY on Aug 13. Congrats on your approval.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

MsBatt
on 7/24/13 3:01 am

Your profile says you need to be able to take NSAIDs. You ARE aware that you won't after having the RNY, right? Did you consider the Sleeve or the DS? Both would still allow NSAIDs, and the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Mz_Pretty
on 7/24/13 3:25 am - Kansas City, MO
Revision on 06/25/13

Yes!! Me :) I had this revision on 6.25.13 I was in the hospital for 2 days I was in some pain but not for a long period of time I was off of work for 3 weeks, I am now about 1 month post op feeling great so far, you wont regret it! :)

MARIA F.
on 7/25/13 3:52 pm - Athens, GA
On July 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM Pacific Time, Mz_Pretty wrote:

Yes!! Me :) I had this revision on 6.25.13 I was in the hospital for 2 days I was in some pain but not for a long period of time I was off of work for 3 weeks, I am now about 1 month post op feeling great so far, you wont regret it! :)

Congrats on your revision. So glad you got rid of your band! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

Mz_Pretty
on 7/26/13 1:29 am - Kansas City, MO
Revision on 06/25/13

Thanks! :)

HW 241 Revision SW 219 CW 132 GW 125  Height-4'11  

MARIA F.
on 7/26/13 4:47 pm - Athens, GA

Heather I haven't revised yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Don't be nervous. Just be glad you're getting rid of that POS! :-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

brandi00
on 7/29/13 2:20 am

I had the bad in 2007.  I lost 12 lbs pre-op and an another 4 lbs post op, so my total weight loss attributable to the band was a whopping four pounds.  This was despite going to the gym and working out every day, following the nutritional requirements, regular visits with the doctor and nutritionist, etc.  I was doing everything right, but with no results.  I resigned myself to being fat and maintained that outloo****il 2012, when I was back up to 330 lbs.  (Yes, the band was still in place.)

Last summer, I began exploring revision to Roux en Y.  It took 13 months for the insurance to approve me.  I just had the surgery on July 23, six days ago.

The post op pain is probably about the same as with the Lap Band.  The only difference is that the site where the doctor uses the biggest instrument to do the surgery is in the same area where my port was, so that incision site is the one that hurt the most.  My doctor said that he had to remove the port, do some reconstruction in that site because of the port, and then use that same site for his biggest instrument to complete the Roux en Y.  Right now, that's the only site in which there is any pain whatsoever.

I was in the hospital the day of the surgery, the next full day, and was discharged the day after that.  (Surgery Tuesday, discharged Thursday.)  On Friday, I was up and around and feeling really good.  Then Friday evening, I had inadvertently drank more than my 30 cc every 15 minutes, coughed because I was overfull, and irritated that site where the port was.  Saturday I was in a lot of pain, but I had to go to the doctor to get the drain removed Saturday so I waited to talk to him.  Turns out that the big incision was infected.  After 24 hours on antibiotics, I'm about 80% pain free, the pain that I do have is minor and does not require any pain medication, and I'm only 6 days out from surgery.

The feeling in my stomach is very similar to the lap band.  I'm still on liquids (duh!) and limited to 30cc every 15 minutes, and believe me, that is enough.  The feeling in the stomach is very similar to a tight band.

Aside from that, the only other information I can share is that my surgery took around 5 1/2 hours.

I just realized that when you wrote this post, I was on the table in surgery!

Good luck!  Being a lap band patient, you're already well prepared for the post-op requirements of the Roux en Y.

Kidda G.
on 7/29/13 11:36 pm
It's normal to feel nervous but in the long run this wls will help you achieve your weight loss goals! Congratulations on your approval!!!
Most Active