From band to revision

Liz345
on 7/29/13 2:33 am
I would love to hear how people handled life without the band before their revision surgery.
Lisa O.
on 7/29/13 4:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I had my band removed in May.  I thought I would do a better job managing my weight after all I learned while banded and successfully losing 100+ lbs but unfortunately I have gained a lot of weight (25 lbs) FAST!  It's amazing how fast the weight comes back on!!  I am experiencing real hunger for the first time in years and am struggling with portion control. I am also binging on fruit because I missed it a lot in my banded life.  Funny, while banded I was struggling to control my cravings for candy and sweets, now I've trasferred to fruit, but sugar is sugar when it's abused.

I've leveled out a bit now, but it's a struggle for sure!

Lisa

Liz345
on 7/29/13 4:07 am

Do you plan to get a revision 

Lisa O.
on 7/29/13 4:55 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Yes, I'm 90% sure I will have RNY if insurance approves.  The Sleeve is not an option because I have chronic reflux.

L.

ohbearly
on 7/29/13 5:47 am, edited 7/29/13 5:48 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

Lisa, It is tough. I maintained my weight for 4 years with the band. When issues developed in mid 2012, my surgeon began the long series of tests and fills and unfills. By the end of 2012 I had gained 20 pounds. It has stayed with me even though I am quite active, even during the winter. It is frustrating. Anyway, I opted to proceed with a revision to RNY in late March. It was approved pretty quickly. My surgery is actually this Wednesday. These past 9 months taught me that I need WLS to maintain my weight. I am disappointed the band failed after all these years. I had to face that fact and move on. Actually my latest blog post talks about questions I get about my revision surgery. http://beariatric.com/2013/07/29/5-common-questions-i-am-ask ed-about-weight-loss-revision-surgery/   -- Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Lisa O.
on 7/29/13 6:21 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Thanks, Tom!

I will be praying for you this Wednesday.  Please keep us informed through your blog.  You will be my guinea pig since I won't have revision surgery until Oct.  I too am very interested in hearing others post op experiences, good, bad and ugly.  

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

tdbull
on 7/29/13 2:39 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I've been unfilled for about 6 weeks and its felt like a constant binge party. It's the first time in over a year that I can eat fruit, but also my portions are enormous, like I have nothing stopping me. I'm having my band removed and RNY Aug 13. Can't wait. I'm actually getting sick of eating.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

pineview01
on 7/29/13 4:10 pm, edited 8/1/13 1:33 pm - Davison, MI

I had my band removed 9/4/12.  I did OK with the weight the first couple months but I was always STARVING.  I had forgotten how bad if was before the band.  In December I cruised for 3 weeks with free drinks everyday and came home to the Holidays.  I had gained over a pound a day on the cruise and a few more over the Holidays.  I was up 30 pounds that month before starting the liquid diet.  I know it was bad but, I really, really thought I was doing OK.  Until nothing fit at the end of the cruise.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Cindy W.
on 7/30/13 4:57 pm - Madison, CT
I also did OK in the first month or two after my band was removed due to an erosion. Then the weight stated to come bac****il Imgained everything back. I am now approved for a revision to RNY later today. I am so excited to be getting my tool back head back to health.
~~Cindy
258 Start/ 195 current / 165 goal
5.5cc in 10cc band (as of 6-1-09)
DonnaMaria
on 8/4/13 2:32 am

I had the band and was successful with it for four years. They the troubles started. I had a leak and now I have a hiatal hernia. I am hoping to revise to the sleeve. Insurance turned me down the first time but I am hopeful for the second go.

Most Active