Dr. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, MI RNY to DS revision

humbel
on 7/30/13 8:24 am - Birmingham, MI

Hey Peggy,

This is what I have found as well - that revising to the DS is probably my best option. Plus, my insurance will likely cover it, so that makes it a possibility for me. I'm happy to hear that you've had such wonderful success for so long, but I'm sorry to hear that things are now going wrong. I have really felt like a failure from the beginning - like WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? But this kind of thinking just makes everything worse. I hope you're able to get your problem addressed soon - before you end up right back where you started - like I did. It doesn't help that I'm on medicine that makes me gain weight. I had to go off my meds when I was pregnant with my 2nd child (who is now almost 10 months old), but since going back on my meds, I have gained about 25 lbs. I know that my medication contributes to the weight problem, but I really need to be on it... Anyway, best wishes to you as you continue along your journey.

Sincerely,

Leslie

humbel
on 7/31/13 6:24 am - Birmingham, MI

I just spoke with a woman from Dr Kemmeter's office who said that he does do RNY to DS revisions. She stated that he has done about a dozen of them and has had wonderful success with no mortalities. I feel like this is a pretty low number... so I'm not sure what to do! Does 12 RNY to DS successful surgeries constitute a good and qualified revision surgeon? I am debating on whether or not I should set up an appt to meet with him, because it's very expensive! I feel like I need to do some thinking before I make the call. Any thoughts from anyone else on this matter??? Would YOU have it done by him?

pineview01
on 8/1/13 1:57 pm - Davison, MI

Have you asked on the DS boards.  I would find his patients and PM them.  If my insurance covered it I would have.  You are the only one that can make that determination.  Are you otherwise in good health at this time?  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MSSEXXC74
on 7/31/13 12:56 pm
Ok my understanding the DS IS the Cadillac of weight loss. It combines the best of the 2 surgeries, rny and sleeve. You loose more and the long term success is better. But as many people have mentioned it is more dangerous with more side affects.

MSSEXXC

clpeltz
on 8/1/13 1:13 am

It does not combine the rny and sleeve.  It is a sleeve with a duodenal switch.  The duodenal swith is VERY DIFFERENT than the RNY.  Much more malabsorption.  It is only more dangerous in the hands of individuals who do not take care of themselves.  As long as you commit to the lifelong supplement regimen and get labs done every 6 months, you can avoid most deficiencies.  And as long as you follow the eating plan and watch carbs, you can avoid most bathroom issues.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MSSEXXC74
on 8/2/13 10:58 am
I did not mean it literally cominded the 2 surgeries, I meant it has to two best parts from the rny and sleeve (small stomach and malabsorption). I wish I could get it! My rny was distal so I have very bad deficiencies and am malnourished

MSSEXXC

Most Active