Revising from Sleeve to Bypass...

missmachine
on 7/20/13 3:17 pm
RNY on 08/13/13

Hello all,

I had the VSG done a little over a year ago (June 2012).  After 5 months post-op, I have not lost any weight and even gained 10 lbs back.  I decided to look into getting a revision to either the RNY or the DS.  My insurance approved revision to the RNY because I also have severe acid reflux.  I weigh 185 and my BMI is currently approx 33. 

I was wondering if anyone revised from the sleeve to bypass, and if you could share what your experience was like?  Did you lose the rest of your weight?  What should my expectations be?  

I have heard of so many people who do not lose weight with the RNY.  I know that surgery is a tool and it is up to me to utilize that tool properly.  I admit that I have messed up a lot with the sleeve.  I became unmotivated when I stopped losing weight.   I don't know how much of this was my fault, but I have felt like I failed my sleeve. I really think that this is what I need to do to get focused again. Being much closer to my goal this time helps as well, I just don't know how effective having another surgery will be.

Please do not tell me not to get the RNY and to get DS instead.  This is the option I have and it is what I am doing.  I am looking for some positive and/or honest thoughts and advice about this decision. 

Thank you! =)

Whit
on 7/21/13 4:40 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I have started this and deleted it several times. I do not want to offend or preach-who the heck needs that? I am not going to tell you to get DS instead of RNY revision. You will ultimately decide what is best and have to live with that decision.  

Insurance can not make you get RNY. But choosing something that you yourself already doubt seems crazy. As a revision patient you have to work at it and RNY is only malabsorbtive for a short period of time. You may find yourself in the same boat if you are unwilling to commit to long term diet restrictions, possible dumping, and faithful dedicated exercise. Please consider all of your WLS options and make an informed decision not just take what you insurance company says as all you can do.  I didn't and here I am a few pounds from goal. 

I wish you the best whatever your decision.

Best,

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

hollykim
on 7/25/13 2:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You have admitted that you " failed the sleeve". Before I had RNY and I personally Would never go from a sleeve to rny, Iwould recommit to my sleeve and work the hell out of it. Gl

Most Active