Thinking of a Revison

KaylaJ
on 7/17/13 1:30 am, edited 7/17/13 1:41 am - Cambridge, Canada

Good afternoon everyone, some of you may know me from the Ontario forum or even the RNY forum, i had  RNY gastric bypass in 2008, i lost a total of 177lbs which was my lowest (183) my highest was 360. i was able to keep it off until last year when  i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia it all went down hill i cant loose weight doing anything! i did the 5 day pouch test, did Canada food guide, have tried everything and exercising min 3 days a week and nothing.  i have gained 67lbs back, so i now weight 250 and am thinking of having a revision, i would like to know what ppls results are with a revision and what revision you had also i am going to my doctor today what should i tell my doctor about this... thanks so much for any help you can give, i do not want to get back to my old weight i am so scared of that! i am trying to hard to loose this weight but cant!

Proud member of Cambridge crew!!!

~Tonya ~
on 7/17/13 2:22 am - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

I think it's really smart of you to get started on your revision before you've gained it all back!  Just go tell the doctor the truth!  Sometimes WLS fails, and revisions are sometimes necessary.  It sounds as though you have given your surgery it's best shot, and it's time to move forward.  If your doctor isn't supportive, find another.  

Best of luck to you!

Tonya

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

KaylaJ
on 7/17/13 2:27 am - Cambridge, Canada

Hey Tonya thank you so much, im just embarrassed that i have failed my doc is awesome so i think he will support me i will update later tonight! thanks again you have made me feel alot better about thinking of the revison

Proud member of Cambridge crew!!!

MsBatt
on 7/18/13 3:53 am

YOU didn't fail. Stop beating yourself up. Reading this will probably help:http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the- Patient-Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

~Tonya ~
on 7/17/13 2:33 am - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

I was kind of embarrassed too, but I knew I hadn't done anything "wrong" and that, in my case, just the VSG wasn't going to be enough.  Lucky for me my surgeon had begun doing the DS a couple of years ago, and he was open to doing my "2nd stage".  He didn't shame me or question my ability to follow the "rules" of my surgery.  I was so glad I went to speak with him.  

Keep us posted!

Tonya

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

Linda_S
on 7/20/13 2:44 am - Eugene, OR

We're all embarrassed by weight gain.  I've only regained 25 pounds (and I've stuck there for 4 years), and it still bothers me.  I didn't lose all I wanted to in the beginning, so I suppose that makes it a bit more vexing.  Do you think that fibromyalgia has anything to do with your re-gain?  I had not heard of this before.  What sort of foods are you eating?  Are you keeping simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, crackers, cookies, etc., out of your diet?  Are you journaling your intake each day?  Keep your pouch full and happy by eating protein (real food, not shakes) and lots of vegetables.  Especially in summer, when veggies are so abundant, and you can grill them, which makes them oh so good, you can really be satisfied by some yummy vegetables.  I've developed a metabolic disorder since RNY surgery, so I know how hard it is to lose weight.  As others have said, it's great that you are working on this before you gain all of your weight back.  Best wishes to you!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

pineview01
on 7/20/13 1:18 pm, edited 7/22/13 10:58 am - Davison, MI

If you only gained 25 back and stuck there for 4 years, that makes you normal and successful according to our center an ~20 pound rebound is normal.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Linda_S
on 7/20/13 1:42 pm - Eugene, OR

Yep - and if it weren't for the severe hypoglycemia and possible nesidioblastosis, everything would be great.  It sucks to pass out after you've had something with hidden sugar in it, and to have to take half a phentermine every day so that eating doesn't automatically make you go to sleep.  My weight isn't my problem.  Digestion is.

sunshine1968
on 7/30/13 5:03 am

If you don't mind my asking, what surgery causes all of that?  I am in the process of contemplating which surgery to get and I was thinking of the sleeve, RNY or Duodenal switch.  Leaning towards the DS. I would love ot hear your input.

Linda_S
on 7/30/13 7:37 am - Eugene, OR

This is a rare but possible complication of RNY.  The bypass part of the surgery is that it totally eliminated the bottom portion of your stomach, bypassing the pyloric valve and dumping your food directly into the small intestines.  For most people, they get the dumping syndrome wherein they get sick, sweaty, and shaky if they eat something with sugar in it.  Some of us get so ultrasensitive to the sugar that we cannot have anything that will be converted to glucose in the early stages of digestion (usually simple starches like crackers, bread, etc), or we get very, very sick.  I'm learning to live on protein and non-starchy veggies.

Most Active