NEED REVISION. 9 years thinking I had a RNY GBP, but the surgeon made a BILLROTH II.

Preacherwife00
on 7/13/13 1:44 pm

I have been having problems lately, with GERD and bile choking me on my sleep.   I went to my PCP and he referred me to Bariatric surgeon for a follow up, since I had only had 2 appointments in 9 years.   The new Bariatric surgeon did an Upper GI and since I told him I had a RNY, he said I might have a fistula and recommended an Endoscopy.   My PCP agreed with that and the Dr. who did the endoscopy found out that I never had a RNY, instead I had a BILLROTH II, which is the cause of all the problems I'm having.

My PCP is very concern because thanks to the wrong surgery, I'm having now lots o problems and he said this needs to be fixed ASAP.  I have my medical records from the first surgeon and it said GBP RNY.   

i'm very scared, if someone can give me a suggestion of what  I can do, I'll really appreciate it.

Preacherwife00

clpeltz
on 7/14/13 12:11 am

Very sorry you are dealing with this.  I know that I would be contacting the original surgeons office and demanding explanations.  Possibly even getting a lawyer involved.  I would think this would be considered malpractice.  The original surgeon should be paying for your revision since he didn't give you what you were supposed to get in the first place and LIED about it on the op report.  Good Lord!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Whit
on 7/14/13 7:31 am
Revision on 12/10/12

I am sorry you re going through this. I too think you have a strong case for Malpractice. Hopefully you will have the time to research the type of WLS you want to revise to. Please look into all of your options and not just do what the first Dr. tells you. You definitely deserve a second and even a third opinion. 

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

MsBatt
on 7/15/13 2:34 am

I've been giving your problem a lot of thought, and my best recommendation would be to consult with one of the surgeons on this list:

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum are also experienced surgeons, but please use caution, and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!

I have this list because these are vetted surgeons who do a true RNY-to-DS revision, which isn't what you're looking for---but they ARE highly experienced in dealing with complicated situations and high-risk patients. Honestly, I'm not sure what CAN be done after a Billroth II, but these are the people I'd want trying to help ME.

pineview01
on 7/15/13 8:27 am, edited 7/17/13 3:40 am - Davison, MI

Sounds like a law suit if he lied on the surgery notes.  You need to find a great surgeon to find out what your options are now.  Did they say if they did the resection of the lower part of the stomach?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Preacherwife00
on 7/15/13 12:53 pm
Thanks for your answers and support. I was reviewing the Virginia Board and this Dr. Has not renew his license. His license expired 2012. His name is Hearhcliff Quioco and his office is in Rocky Mount, VA. if you know of someone who can help me or can recommend a lawyer, please let me know. I have the Dr Notes where he said I had the GBP RNY

Preacherwife00

pineview01
on 7/17/13 3:52 am - Davison, MI

Sorry can't help with this.  Hopefully you will find the answer to this on the Virginia Boards!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

airbender
on 7/21/13 10:52 am

first i am very sorry for your pain and fear.  you can get through this,first contact your dr's office and request all your records, including office notes, everything,  then i would suggest contacting the hosptial you had surgery and request ALL your records when you were in, also make sure you get your postoperative report, xrays blood work etc.depndeing on what is stated in your post operative report will help you decide what to do next.  if the operative report states billroth, you may be out of luck for a lawsuit.  if it states rny--oh my gosh, that is a different matter.at this point, i would only go to a very skilled revision surgeon, not sure where you live, but ms batts posted the ones i would go to....this point is very very important, it sounds like someone already butchered you, don't let anyone do that again.  it is ok if you are scared...get yourself together, fight for yourself, you are worth it....post questions..you will get though this you are not alone....let us know how you do...

Preacherwife00
on 7/21/13 12:10 pm

Thanks so much.   I have the Dr's notes and the surgery report, I even have a letter from the insurance company approving the surgery as a RNY GBP back in 2004.   I spoke to a lawyer and he stated that if I can get a letter from my PCP stating that all of these is consequence of the wrong surgery, he will help me and we can start a case.    My PCP is very supportive and if it wasn't because he requested all these studies, I would probably never found I had the wrong surgery.

Thanks again for your support.  I just want this to be fixed and have a normal life.   I'm expecting my first grandchild to be born anytime now and I want to be healthy for him, my husband and my children.

Preacherwife00

Most Active