Realize Band to DS?!

HappyDreamer
on 7/7/13 4:27 am

I have the Realize Band and im finally to the point where I have come to terms with having a revision. I have no interest in getting the band replaced, only for it to have to be replaced again. Im looking into the DS surgery and wanted some feed back/ pros & cons. or any other info you guys would like to share!

Thanks

MsBatt
on 7/7/13 12:20 pm

I'm not a revision, but I absolutely LOVE my DS!

clpeltz
on 7/8/13 5:23 am

LOVE my DS.  I was a revision from RNY to DS.  I recommend that you post in the DS forum and also visit dsfacts.com and read EVERYTHING there.  There is a lot to learn with the DS, so you need to look at it all.  Good luck!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

pineview01
on 7/8/13 4:01 pm - Davison, MI

WOW!  You're going from one extreme to another.kiss  What was the problem with the band?  Did you do well with the restriction only?  Did you just never get to the "sweet spot"?  Or did you just have medical problem?  If so you might want to look at the sleeve, 1st half of DS.  If you could never get the weight off no matter that you followed the rules, I would get the DS.

For me I could lose with restriction.  I just either had so much I couldn't swallow spit not alone eat healthy.  Than I would have so little I could eat too much of everything.  For me the sleeve was a good fit.  Others have trouble losing with just restriction and need the DS.(My one sister has a DS, another, my DD and myself , NOW, have the sleeve.)  

Good luck with what ever WLS you have.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

HappyDreamer
on 7/9/13 1:14 am

Thanks for the insight guys & yes i have been doing my research and also visiting the DS message board to get more info as well! @Pineview  with the band i wasnt able to find that "sweet spot" no matter how many fills i had, there are times when eating just scrambled eggs can be a challenge because it gets stuck sometimes. Im no longer losing any weight with this type of tool so i feel a revision would be best

pineview01
on 7/15/13 7:54 am - Davison, MI

That was me too.  I came out and said I didn't believe there was such a thing as a sweet spot.  I was more than surgery weight at 2.5 years.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

airbender
on 7/12/13 9:45 pm

hello,

the most important part, pick a good surgeon, i had so much damage and i had a nissen fundoplication that had to be taken down that no surgeon wanted me, even some of thos on dsfacts.  i was more difficult than a rny to ds, and those are some of the most difficult revision to do.  i had to fly for my surgery, would do it again....  i love my ds, it has returned a sense of normalcy i lost with the band (8 years permanent damage, this part reason why the vsg would be ineffective for me)

pros;  you eat normal foods and amounts (not 3 bites and you are sliming, or puking, or reflux etc), no one knows you have had surgery by they way you eat.  not seeing your port outside your clothes ( i got down to 127 lbs with band) my kids called it an alien.  a true sense of normalcy...

cons;  pills, odor from gas and bms

good luck to you.....

Most Active