Lapband issues--thinking of revision

KDT2020
on 6/26/13 1:03 am - Athol, MA

I had Lap Band surgery back in 2008 and lost 50 lbs but then the weight gradually came back on due to multiple stressers in my life and not having the time to go back to my surgeon for follow ups.  I still ate properly but the weight still came back.  For the last 2 years Ive been having issues keeping any food down, seems to get stuck all the time.  Thinking about having a revision to gastric sleeve.  When I had my lap band surgery I was under BCBS of MA and now I have Health New England.  Anybody have any experience with dealing with HNE for revisions? Any help or advice would be helpful.

Ashley C.
on 6/27/13 12:00 pm - Birmingham, AL

I went to my surgeon because I was having so many issues with eating. I threw up at least once a day and would choke on just about everything I ate or drank including water. So with insurance approval I had my band removed in February of this year. I don't have experience with HNE but I can tell you that having the band removed was the best thing for me. The immediate relief from restriction was wonderful. I discovered that restriction alone is not for me so I am going to have a gastric bypass. My insurance denied the procedure at first (the whole one surgery per lifetime) but I enlisted the aid of an obesity advocacy firm (they are in California) and for a small fee they handled my appeal and I have been approved for the RNY procedure. Its your health and if you are suffering from the band then don't stop until you get relief. I should have had my band removed over a year ago but I thought it was a sign of me failing yet again. In the process I gained 50 pounds with the band and dreaded every meal to the point I was drinking milkshakes and eating mashed potatoes to survive and would never eat out or in the company of others as my condition steadily got worse.  

Good luck!

Lisa O.
on 6/28/13 2:07 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi Ashley, 

When are you revising to RNY?  Do you have it scheduled yet?  I will be submitting for insurance approval in the next couple of months.  I also lost my band for similar reasons.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Ashley C.
on 6/30/13 2:18 pm - Birmingham, AL

I have not scheduled a date yet but the plan is for early August. Besides working full time I am also a full time student and I have a couple of summer classes that will end early August. My plan is to have the surgery as soon as classes end and before fall classes begin. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Most Active