revision from gastric bypass to a sleeve

MSSEXXC74
on 6/22/13 12:40 pm

Hello, in 2000 i had a gastric bypass.  I got down to 128.  Well i have started to regain weight because i cannot eat solid foods the only thing that goes down without we throwing up is junk.  Then the junk makes me dump and want to pass out.  SO my doctor checked my pouch and stoma and they are still very small and in tact.  He suggest that i have the revision to a sleeve so that i can actually get food down.  I am  scared crazy because i have not seen one case revised from bypass to sleeve.  It is usually sleeve to bypass.  Anyone have any thoughts on this or known anyone to revise this way.

clpeltz
on 6/23/13 4:15 am

DO NOT LET JAUREZ DO IT!!!

Anyway....it is not unusual to revise from the RNY to Dudenal Switch (DS), which has the sleeve stomach and increased malabsorbsion.  However, there are only a few surgeons in the world that are experienced enough to do this kind of revision.  You need a RNY to DS revision surgeon.  And your surgeon IS NOT on the list.  

Getting back your pyloric valve will definitely help the dumping/reactive hypoglycemia issue.  I had the same issue with mine.  Only revising your stomach though is probably not going to get you what you want for weight loss.  If you are really wanting a revision, you should look into the DS.  Visit dsfacts.com to get factual information regarding the DS and look further down in this forum for the topic 'Current RNY to DS revision surgeons".  That forum topic will give you the list of surgeons that are highly recommended by us in general.  They have the most experience with the best outcomes.  Good luck!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

BarbaraSCL
on 9/26/16 2:07 pm

Wow! How can I know whether my doctor is in that list??? I am in Santiago - Chile.

Thanks!

hipswishingvinegarball
on 9/27/16 11:52 am

Amy posted a link to the list in a later post on this very page. 

Linda_S
on 6/23/13 1:00 pm - Eugene, OR

There are quite a few revisions of RNY to sleeve (or to DS).  I am awaiting approval for just such a surgery so I can get my pyloric valve and my intrinsic factor back.  I can eat just fine, but it has to be protein and/or greens.  I cannot eat any refined carbs and I now can't eat fruit or most dairy products.  I dump terribly and have terrible hypoglycemia.  I spend a lot of my life asleep because eating just knocks me out.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/23/13 3:06 pm

Two big issues. That is a hard revision, and very few surgeons have the skill to do that one. Look further down the page at a post I think by Jaimee, and look ONLY on that list for a surgeon to do this revision.

Second, forget that surgeon for ANY procedure, and consider yourself warned. Again, the sleeve and DS are great to revise to, but get a surgeon that can actually do that revision, rather then a surgeon that botches the easiest of surgeries. 

Selena R.
on 6/26/13 6:59 am

I have not have revision and I am in the process to get one because of enlarged stoma. However, I had the same problem as you in 2009. My surgeon did a study and found out that the problem was adhesions in my intestine. Once, he fixed that problem I could diet again and eat vegetables which before I was vomiting them. I recommend that your surgeon do a study to you to see what is further your bypass. I have been other people recommending better to have band-over-bypass. Good luck!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/27/13 8:36 am

Heres a link to Jamies post with the list of revision surgeons. Again, I wouldn't consider this revision by any surgeon that is not on this list.

Most Active