Anyone revise "from" DS to VSG?

Annie B.
on 6/22/13 12:03 pm - Ann Arbor, MI

Just wondering if there's anyone out there doing what I'm doing.  I was a very successful DS post-op, losing about 160 pounds from my high of 301 in 2005.  But after 2 successful full-term pregnancies along with subsequent years of breastfeeding, I stretched my stomach from the extra calories I took in.  In the last 18 months I started putting on weight and I'm up to 200 lbs.  I've done all the super high protein diets and was just TOO hungry, even if I was eating nothing but protein.  So I'm having my sleeve tightened up with a laparoscopic VSG.  The surgeon did an endoscopy and found one portion of my stomach that was a huge protruding flap, all stretched out.  So he's going to trim that off and I can get back on track.

I'm confident I'm making the right decision for my future health.  I love my DS (and my kids!) and am excited to get back on program.  Anyone happen to have a similar experience?

Annie

Whit
on 6/22/13 12:27 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

No I was revised from RNY to DS 6 months ago. I just wanted to say good luck. I hope this is successful for you.

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/13 1:18 pm

Revising from DS to VSG means taking down the intestinal portion and doing a resleeve.  Why would you do that?  Why not leave your intestines alone and just do the resleeve?

pineview01
on 6/22/13 1:49 pm - Davison, MI

My sisters doctor  wanted to take hers down and put her back to VSG only.  She didn't understand what he was wanting to do and why.  She didn't want to do it so he had her overeat her sleeve after they dilated it to stretch it out.  In hind sight she really should have gone with the take down or at least the revision of length. 

But, it sounds like he is only working on your sleeve and not actually taking down the DS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/22/13 1:54 pm

From your explanation, you will still have a DS. It sounds like you don't have a correct sleeve, which you should after they fix it, but you will still have a DS. 

Unless they undo the intestinal portion, you will finally have a correct DS, and if you have gained weight, I doubt you want to lose the intestinal bypass. If they do undo the intestinal part, and you truly just end up with a sleeve, you will probably gain more weight than you already have.

Annie B.
on 6/22/13 4:57 pm - Ann Arbor, MI

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am definitely NOT touching my intestines at all.  I believe my level of malabsorption to be optimal. My labs are good and I have no unusual or troubling bowel issues. So yeah, I guess you would call it a resleeve. I'm just having it done by a different surgeon who specializes in lap VSG, as my DS was open and that surgeon doesn't do lap. 

So it sounds like my chosen route isn't terribly unusual. I like to think of it as a nip and tuck, or tune-up. :)

Annie 

airbender
on 6/23/13 7:53 am

hi Annie

yes it sounds like you want to be resleeved?  who are you thinking of using and would you mind posting how much a resleeve is?  thanks

Annie B.
on 6/23/13 10:12 am - Ann Arbor, MI

My surgeon is Dr. Mark Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MI.  He has a very reasonable cash package of around $11,000 including hospital charges.  I'm on my way to the hotel now for surgery at 7:30am.  Woohoo!

Annie

Zee Starrlite
on 6/25/13 1:09 am

There are people who have been re-sleeved but you are not going from DS to VSG.  You are still a DS with a sleeve as other DSers just tightening your sleeve . . . which by the way is a big deal.

Good Luck, you will do great!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/25/13 9:10 am

Yah, it just sounds like your sleeve was made too large or maybe incorrectly the first time around, and you'll still have a DS. 

There are some who have been resleeved for incorrect or "made too large" sleeves, but it's not too common. 

Most Active