My Band to RNY Revision Experience

sable07
on 6/19/13 12:05 pm
Revision on 06/17/13

Hi, 

I wanted to share my experience for those who are curious.  Feel free to friend me to read more about my progress. I always find it helpful when I can read about what others have gone through. Hope someone finds this to be helpful! 

On 6/17/13 I arrived at 8am as scheduled, signed in and got my bracelets. I was called back and asked to pee in a cup.  Seriously?  I wasn't supposed to drink anything after midnight, I peed when I woke up and it's now 9am. Is this a test?  Well, they must know what they are doing because I was able to give a sample!  Then I was given a robe to change into.  The nurse wheeled in scale which verified that I had officially lost 52 pounds on my own.  Woo hoo!

They drew blood, tested my cpap machine, gave me nasonex to use, inserted the IV, gave me something for nausea and some benadryl via the IV.  The benadryl made me LOOPY!  I was sooooo high!  All I knew is that I had to stay awake to see my surgeon before I went under.  I had to remind her that I had a son and a cousin to come home to.  Plus my son would hunt her down if his mom didn't make it back.  It wasn't a threat...just a reminder.  LOL!

I was able to fight to stay awake to see her.  She reminded me that there was a chance that she would not be able to do both surgeries. I told her that I understood then I passed out.  

The next memory I had was waking up in the recovery room. I remember seeing the doctor and asking her several times if she was able to do the band removal and revision to RNY...she was!  Woo hoo!!! My surgery took 3.5 hours - a bit longer than expected. I was finally wheeled to my room around 6pm.

I was placed in leg compression apparatus to help keep blood clots at bay.  I was finally up and walking at 11:30pm and every four hours afterwards.  The nurses were also constantly in and out checking my blood pressure, pulse oxygen level and temperature.   

My pain level stayed at about a 2 out of 10 the first night.  

The next morning I went for a CT scan with BITTER contrast.  Everything went well and I was cleared to start a clear liquid diet.  Yea broth and popsicles!  Day two was a breeze!  I got a shot in my stomach to prevent blood clots. They took me off the pain pump and I walked so much that I became the mascot of the nurses station.  "There she goes again!"  

However, night 2 was painful. Gas pains kept me awake all night.  I walked and cursed and walked and prayed and walked. I finally asked for pain meds and something for the gas.  Then about 5 am I had a TMI moment with porcelain.  Nirvana! Once I was empty I was finally able to get some sleep.

Day three (today) I was released to go home and am feeling really good!

saterry
on 6/19/13 12:13 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Congrats !!! Thank you so much for the personal post. It gives me hope and eases my worries to hear from you......thank you, keep us posted on your progress !

sable07
on 6/19/13 12:27 pm
Revision on 06/17/13

You're welcome! Good luck on your journey!

Mz_Pretty
on 6/19/13 11:14 pm - Kansas City, MO
Revision on 06/25/13

This is interesting to read! I go in for my revision in 5 days, June 25th! I am nervous and excited it seem like u are recovering well but everyone is different. Anyway congrats on your 2nd chance!

sable07
on 6/20/13 12:45 am
Revision on 06/17/13

Thanks!  Good luck to you!  Feel free to ask any questions.  I'm happy to share. :-)

Divaspirit
on 6/20/13 2:30 am - TX
Sable07 I had a band to RNY revision as well AND on the same date as you! Are you still experiencing stomach pains? My Dr said I had a lot off scarring from the band so I am guessing that is the reason.
sable07
on 6/20/13 8:14 am
Revision on 06/17/13

If I sit still for too long I feel discomfort.  I have to walk to get things moving.  So I'm really not in actual pain. 

Congrats on your revision!

Divaspirit
on 6/20/13 9:48 am - TX
Makes sense. I moved around more this last hour and it has made a difference! Thank you for your help!!!
terilynn112
on 6/20/13 1:46 am - maryland, NY
welcome to the losers bench. I'm ahead of you more than 2 years, and remember those feelings well. I was also lucky to do it in one surgery. Never regretted it either.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

sable07
on 6/21/13 10:54 pm
Revision on 06/17/13
Most Active