Anyone have a Gastrogastric fistula and revise to BPD w/o a DS?

danielle1964
on 6/18/13 11:27 pm

Hi. I am 7 years out. After loosing all of my excess weight and then maintaining for 4 years, I developed a fistula between my pouch and remnant stomach. I have experienced almost total regain, as well as ever increasing pain in my pouch. As I talk to doctors about possible repair, most are only willing to repair the fistula, and not revise my surgery.They tell me not to expect much weight loss with this procedure, though.

I've had a few surgeons who've recommended I find a doctor experienced in revision surgery and have a biliopancreatic diversion along with the repair of the fistula.They feel that this will result in more weight loss for me. It is suggested that I not have the switch performed, because of the risk involved with re-connecting my old stomach due to an unusual amount of scarring. 

I should say that, at this point, I'm not as interested in what I look like weight wise as I am about co-morbidity issues. I am diabetic with high blood pressure and joint issues. I really don't want to have surgery to repair the fistula, and not have much weight gain, because the whole point in all of this for me was to resolve co-morbidities. 

Anyone ever done this? Looking for some "I did that" stories. TIA.

MsBatt
on 6/23/13 1:04 am

Sorry, no "I did that" story from me, but here's a link to a thread with a list of vetted RNY-to-DS surgeons. I'd consult with one of these guys. (Keshishian would be at the top of my list---he's handled some really complicated cases successfully.)

Most Active