? PLEASE RESPOND WITH HONESTY

pineview01
on 6/18/13 1:57 pm - Davison, MI

Our center does the revision in two steps to allow the stomach to heal from the band.    I had the band 3.5 years.  They removed the band 9/4/12.  They called the surgery at 9:15 and I was HOME at 1:30 including a 20/25 minute drive.  Even though this surgery was just as bad as the band they do it out patient.  I wish they had done the same with the band.  The recovery was the same as getting the band.

Than 4.5 months later they did the sleeve.  They made me stay two nights, I found it not to be as bad as getting the band placed. I did start to get sick to my tummy but my sister and DD, both had the band before me warmed me they had gotten sic****il they STOPPED the morphine.  So as soon as I had problems I stopped pushing the button.  They kept me on the anti-nausea meds. I did get some liquid pain meds the second day just before going home to help on the ride and I took something before bed the first two nights.  This third surgery was so much easier.  I had more discomfort from the drain and catheter than the surgery. 

I am retired bu****ch the 4 yr old grandson and live on a farm.  I made sure he climbed up and down with out my help for 4 weeks.  I made sure to honor the 8 pound limit for 4 weeks and 20 for 6 weeks.

I sure wish this had been my first surgery.  I am almost 25 pounds less than I ever got in almost 4 years with the band, at four months.kiss

sfnativewm
on 6/18/13 11:49 pm

Thanks for sharing!  I wish I never got the band, but was full of hope       

Ok now I have never had a catheter.......do they do this while you are asleep?  when is it removed?   (big baby here)

what is the drain?  How long is it in?   I am more ignorant to the surgery than I thought.

Thanks again!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

pineview01
on 6/19/13 6:41 am - Davison, MI

They put it in while I was under for surgery.  It was my biggest issue.  I kept asking when I could get it out.  I kept telling them it hurt.  Finally I told the nurse for my roomie that I just couldn't stand it and felt like my bladder was going to explode.  The stupid thing was crimped and nobody would listen to me until I was backed up and exploding .

Some lucky people don't get this.  When they pulled it out it was just sweat relief, not painful.

The drain is placed in the area were the stomach is removed.  Some people don't get them either.  But, I have seen many that didn't get one have problems with fluid building and making a pocket under the skin that causes an open wound that needs to be packed.

Just remember every surgeon has their own way of doing things.  Our center told us at our Nutrition/nursing class just before surgery about the drains, catheter and pain management.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ButterflyAna
on 6/19/13 4:36 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I was banded for almost five years. I was baded in 08 then had it removed and replaced with a realize band, then my port filled and I had to have that fixed, then finally I was revised to the sleeve this March. I was so sick with the band the entire time. I am 3 1/2 months post op and still can not keep food down. The Dr. thinks I have scar tissue. I see him on Friday.

I am still happy I did the revision, life with the band was horrible this is much better. I had my surgery done at one time. I was in the hospital for 3 days. It hurt worse and the queasy stomache was hard to manage. I took 3 weeks off of work. The Dr. would have given me one more but I felt okay to come back.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Most Active