? PLEASE RESPOND WITH HONESTY

sfnativewm
on 6/17/13 4:15 am

I think I am getting closer to having my band out in September.   The question is to band to sleeve people.   Got to the hospital for the surgery and what goes on?   when do you go home?   how much time off work?    and in all honesty are you glad you did this?

Thank you very much

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Kimbaru
on 6/17/13 6:21 am - WA

Hi Anne,

I had my band put in in April 05.  It was repositioned in 08.  I still had all sorts of problems and gave up, had all of the fluid taken out and ended up 15 or 20 pounds heavier than I started . 14 weeks ago I had my band removed.  It was done as an outpatient.  The recovery was harder than the original surgery because getting the port out was not easy.  My doc also removed as much scar tissue as he could.  We knew I was planning a revision.  I just got sleeved 12 days ago.  I'm a slow healer, so I'm still taking it very easy.  I was overnight for the operation and ended up back at the surgery center a few days later for IV fluids.  I have had nausea since surgery, but have managed not to throw up.  I get light headed and feel weak - but I am in the middle of recovery.  I am only managing to force myself to eat about 350-450 calories a day.

I took a month off from work because my job is physical even if it is only part time and I have lots of other health issues.  I have ventured out to do errands a couple of times, but get pretty darn worn out after an hour or 2.

I am very glad I did this.  I was killing myself at 345 lbs.  Now I have NO hunger and can look towards a  a much healthier future.

Hope this helps,

Kim

sfnativewm
on 6/17/13 9:59 am

Thanks Kim!!!!  I wish you a speedy recovery and an awesome new life!! 

~Ann~

Hislady
on 6/17/13 7:01 am - Vancouver, WA

If you haven't already done it also ask on the sleeve forum, there are many, many band to sleeve revisions over there. The majority are thrilled with the sleeve and say it does what we were told the band would do but didn't. I's a rougher surgery to recover from but all say it was worth it. Good luck, hope all goes well for you!

sfnativewm
on 6/17/13 9:59 am

Thank you so much!   LOL I think you and I have waited too long for this.   I have kaiser so this is an adventure for sure trying to get a revision!

~Ann~

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/13 7:49 pm

I had a band for 18 long months of torture.  I have had a sleeve for 5 wonderful years.

My revision was done in one surgery, band out, sleeve done.  5 days off work, recovery was exactly the same as band placement.  The first thing to hurt and the last thing to heal is the port area.

sfnativewm
on 6/17/13 11:38 pm

Thank you!   I had so much false hope with this band!   I am trying to get the band out and the sleeve done at the same time.   My surgeon likes to have all heal before moving on to something new.   Just getting this band out will be joyful to me!

~Ann~

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 3:43 am
On June 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM Pacific Time, sfnativewm wrote:

Thank you!   I had so much false hope with this band!   I am trying to get the band out and the sleeve done at the same time.   My surgeon likes to have all heal before moving on to something new.   Just getting this band out will be joyful to me!

If you go to an actual revision surgeon they can do it all in one surgery, it is safer for you in the end and it is also the standard of care in the US.  One surgery for you, less $$ for your surgeon.

MARIA F.
on 6/23/13 8:22 am - Athens, GA
On June 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM Pacific Time, sfnativewm wrote:

I too had false hope in the band. The band ended up being nothing like they had advertised! And the manufactures have done this to hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS of us! I understand putting a flattering touch on your marketing..........but to outright LIE about it?!

Anyway.........glad to see that you will be revising. I hope that you will post a warning on the lapband forum. Those of us with failed bands need to do that so that those that are pre-op and researching can see what the band is REALLY like! Pay It Forward! And good luck with the removal/revision!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Ashley A.
on 6/18/13 4:17 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Hello, 

I had my band for 3 1/2 years before having it removed and revising to the sleeve. I had the band removed and sleeve done at the same time, I was in and out of surgery within 2 hours. My surgery was Wednesday morning, I was released by Friday evening. I took 2 weeks off work and was fine, I have a sit down desk type job. All in all I'm glad I did this, the first couple of weeks were rough recovery wise due to being so restricted from swelling from where the band was and from the new stomach that was created.  I do still have issues with foods at times if I eat something that doesn't agree with me similar to how it was with the band, ie stuck episodes, pbing but it is nothing compared to how it was with the band. Hope this info helps!

Good luck to you.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Most Active