Roux-en Y 10 years ago

nanberger_2014
on 6/12/13 9:48 am - Kenosha, WI

I am 10 years out from my roux-en y bypass surgery. I had success in the beginning and lost over 200 lbs. Within the last few years I have gained almost all of my weight back. I'm looking into a revision but my previous surgeon no longer takes my medical. I have Medicare and Medicaid. I called on doctor and was told that if my pouch has expanded there is nothing they can do. I live in Kenosha WI and am looking for a surgeon near by. Any suggestions?

Nan

heathercross
on 6/12/13 10:38 pm - New York, NY

Hi Nan. I had my RNY 11 years ago this August and in June of 2011, I had a BOB - Band over Bypass.  I had lost 130 with the RNY and gained back 75-80lbs. I've since re-lost that. What you need to do first, is get some tests - a CT Scan of your abdomen, a Endoscopy or an Upper GI.  That will tell you if your pouches is stretched and the status of your stoma.  From there, you can decide if a revision is in order.  But, until you know mechanically what is going on inside, you shouldn't let any doctor or anyone else tell you what to do.  Good Luck.

Heather

MsBatt
on 6/13/13 10:32 am

You should also research an RNY-to-DS (duodenal switch) revision. This is usually the most effective, long-term solution, but it's also the most complicated and not many surgeons perform it. Here's a link to a thread that lists the surgeons who do: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4599894/RNY-to-DS -revision-surgeons/

Now---in order to get this procedure, you most likely WILL have to travel---but I think most people who've had it will say it was worth the effort.

katiekat412
on 6/13/13 11:47 pm

They are also able to revise your original RNY- make  your pouch and stoma smaller. While I find it difficult to find statistics on revision surgeries, this seems to be the least effective in the long run. Just wanted you to know your options!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

pineview01
on 6/15/13 12:27 pm - Davison, MI

I know they also change the by-pass length.  Don't see states and have heard mixed results reported here.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active