Considering Revision from failed RNY need advice if I should even try

Tomson
on 6/20/13 10:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. You are the first person who has actually had it done that has shared results. I am very grateful. Do you think ROSE does not work or was that it did not work for you. May I ask, what did it feel like in terms of recovery and eating after the ROSE. I am so sorry for your weight regain. They are offering Stomaphyx and ROSE as revision surgery for failed bariatric surgery at DUKE in North Carolina. I am amazed at the stories I am hearing and how such a top flight school like Duke is pushing procedures that don't work. I wish ROSE worked. I am very scared of complications from RNY to DS and my "gremlins" keep telling me I'll regret it or I'll fail at that as well. If I have to self pay I would basically spend my life's savings and I know if it works that's a fair trade. But, I have a wife and think it would be selfish if it failed. I am trying to find both good and bad information from people who went RNY to DS and it spans the spectrum from weeks in the hosptal with complications to a very easy recovery. Thanks so much for sharing. I am starting to get consistent feedback that rose does not work. What do you think you will do know hummungbirdflower, if I may ask?

Whit
on 6/20/13 2:53 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

I had revision from RNY to DS. I am 6 months out ant about 11 pounds from goal. Recovery has been a struggle but I would do it again in a heartbeat. More of my road to DS is documented in my Profile. I am happy to answer any question you may have.

Good luck with your decision.

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tomson
on 6/20/13 10:39 pm

Whit,

Thank you for your kind reply. Did you have to travel for Dr. K? I am all the way on the east coast and I am wondering how long I will be out west if things go well? May I ask what prompted you to take action? I am a bit overcome with fear and complications. I have told my wife that if I could die on the table or have a trouble-free recovery, I would accept that bet. Did you have your pyloric valve reinstated? Does that change things? Anymore dumping? May I ask, how are your bowel movements. I had problems with RNY and that also scares me about DS. I am trying to get educated and talking to folks like you has been my best resource. I am new here and people have been very kind to me and I am grateful.

smile750
on 6/25/13 1:25 am - Bridgewater, NJ

There a couple of doctors on the east coast that do the revision from RNY to DS - there is a list on this board you can check.  Specifically, I know that Dr. Mitchell Roslin in NY does it (and is on the list here).

I had the ROSE in the clinical trials (so I didn't pay for it) about 5 years ago.  Endoscopy and barium swallow test confirmed that my stoma was stretched and basically while I still couldn't eat much at a sitting (compared to my husband), the food just goes through me and the feeling of fullness doesn't last long.  Follow-up endoscopy in the trial showed that the little plastic anchors/staples that make the stoma smaller had fallen out (which is what happens most of the time) and it was considered a failure.  I had RNY back in 2002 and lost 130 lbs. (300 down to 170).  I have regained and lost numerous times (all due to bad food choices which I take responsibility for).  There have been times when I've considered revising to DS (and I know my insurance will cover it), but I still know that I must continue to resolve my own issues around why I make the choices that I do in terms of my emotional eating.  I am in therapy and we continue to make progress.  I am convinced that revising right now will most likely result with unfavorable results over time if I don't get the psychological aspects fixed.  When I had RNY, I thought, "That's it - I will be thin at last!" forever.... but life got in the way :)  I will get it one day and continue to try and learn and grow and work on myself.  DS may be in the future, but for now, I will wait.

Don't get the ROSE - not a good long term solution....

Tomson
on 6/26/13 12:29 pm

Dear smile750

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Wow it really hits home with me and I am glad I found out about the Rose failures as I was thinking it would be an easy fix. I wish I never had the RNY, but I am thinking I would feel better if I got my pyloric valve back in place. It is one scary decision. I had complications with my RNY and wonder if that is an omen that a DS revision would go awful? I wish I would have had DS in the first place, but no doctor even told me I had a choice. Hopefully RNY to DS will improve as more people get the revision. Again, I am grateful to you for sharing your story.

Tomson

MsBatt
on 6/27/13 5:43 am

Just wanted to tell you that more DSers struggle with constipation than do with diarrhea. And treating constipation is sometimes fun, as it involves eating some fatty 'treats'. (*grin*)

Most Active