Considering Revision from failed RNY need advice if I should even try

Tomson
on 6/12/13 3:13 am

Hello,

I had a RNY in 2005 at a peak weight of 362 pounds. I have had long term chronic diarrhea and after numerous tests and follow ups it seems like it's just one of those things. I have been able to get about 90% control using Motofen which I found out about from an IBS patient. My surgeon was highly rated on this board and he assured me that he did not due a distal connection. Well aside from that terrible side effect it worked for weight loss for about 3/12 year and I was down to 230lbs which was fine for my height (6'5"). Slowly I lost all feeling of constriction and I can now eat much more than I could after surgery. I am hovering around 300lbs right now with very active management trying to not gain anymore. I know that I have horrible addiction issues with food and have worked with both support groups and therapists, yet I have failed and feel pretty bad about myself. It was tough for my family and friends watch me regain most of the weight I lost and I feel depressed and I am being treated for it. I am wondering if I should consider revision surgery and if I would even be a candidate for it? I have seen the ROSE procedure advertised, but can not get any data on long term results, but I could self pay for that. I don't really have many folks to talk with about this and I am very aware that a revision surgeon is a rare find. I would be grateful to hear from people who have had revision and if it worked for you. Thanks so much.

pineview01
on 6/12/13 7:50 am - Davison, MI

Have you been tested to see if the pouch is still small or stretched out?  Have they checked the stoma?  I know from this board that the Rose doesn't work well.  You should post this on the DS boards.  There are a very few surgeons that can do a RNY to DS revision but, that sounds like your best bet.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Tomson
on 6/12/13 10:30 am

Thank you for your kind reply. I had no information about ROSE and am glad to be informed. I am grateful to you.

heathercross
on 6/12/13 9:08 am - New York, NY

I agree with what Pineview said but if you have addiction issues (food) I am not sue if any WLS will help.  I'd NOT even think about the ROSE, its a joke.  You need to first find out if you failed mechnically.  Get a CT Scan, Upper GI or Endoscopy.  That will dictate a lot of what is available too you.  

Tomson
on 6/12/13 10:31 am

That sounds like good advice and I will try and start that process. I am scared of DS but I think you may be right about that option. Thanks for your kind reply.

MsBatt
on 6/13/13 10:35 am

Why are you scared of the DS? If you'll tell us your fears, perhaps we can allay them. There is a great deal of mis-information about the DS out there.

cocogirl
on 6/13/13 9:40 pm
Revision on 06/06/13
I just had my RNY revision on June 6. My surgeon tested me using a endoscopy to see if my stoma had stretched. And yes, my stomach had stretched. You will need to get on top of your eating habits so we do not end up with the same problem the second time around. I am glad I was given a second chance. Please do your research so you can be well informed on some different approaches you can take.

gerty39
on 6/14/13 2:50 am - Payson, UT
My story is the same as yours! I had RNY in 2000, lost 145lbs and started gaining it back after about 4 years. I've spent so many years with chronic diarrhea, food addiction, and feeling like a failure. Also being treated for depression and anxiety. Even six months ago the anxiety kept me from going to a surgeon. I finally made it! I jumped through all of their hoops and now have an appointment with Dr. Simper to talk about revision from RNY to DS.
Tomson
on 6/14/13 11:01 am

Oh, I wish I could just reach out and give you a hug. We sound like twins. I am so proud of you for having that courage and I wish I did, but I am trying to gain it and I think it's helping to hear from people like you. You are not a failure and learning how to manage chronic diarrhea is an exquisite hell that most people will never understand what it is like to endure. I had so many tests after my surgery and "nothing" was wrong according to them. I had to do my own research and work with my own primary doc to get some control. That's one reason I am so afraid of a future DS if I am already dealing with diarrhea from RNY. Some folks have told me that having the pyloric valve restored actually helped stop problems with diarrhea. But I was at one point where I thought I wish I was just dead because I was struggling so much. I don't feel that way anymore, but I am frightened that those feelings will come back and I know that revision has 3X complications. I wish there was a doctor who could do imaging or something and tell me weather or not I was a good candidate. I know nothing is guaranteed in life, but I wish there was a way that we could at least have some level of good outcome. Please keep me updated on how things are going for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you great success as you courageously move forward. Thanks so much for sharing with me. I am grateful.

hummingbirdflower
on 6/17/13 9:37 pm
Rose procedure did not work for me. I lost 10 lbs.😕 Gain 40 in 4yrs after.. I've been hearing stories from others who had the Rose procedure with similar results.
Most Active