Revision???

Rayeh
on 6/7/13 8:45 am
I had a RNY in 1985, was what I considered a success. 255-143 for a minute and then went to 155-165. (The dr told me I would always fight with 30 lbs. this year i lost my 5 year old grandson and then my brother and shot up to 190. I am fighting to get it off. Today's weight is 184.1. I am considering doing a revision but know nothing about them. I didn't even know they did them. I thought about a BOB or stomachx (sp). Any thoughts?
MARIA F.
on 6/7/13 3:14 pm - Athens, GA

Hugs! I am so sorry about your loss!!!

Neither BOB or stomafx are good options. The band has way too many complications long term. And stomafx is generally less "effective" than the band. You have been through a lot and emotional eating is understandable with what you have been through. Maybe try upping your protein and low carbing it? Perhaps try going back to the support group meetings?

FormerlyFluffy.com

heathercross
on 6/9/13 10:30 am - New York, NY

Maria, please don't comment on a surgery you haven't had.  A BOB is very different than a regular old band.  We've been thru this before.  Please just comment on what you know.

MARIA F.
on 6/9/13 4:52 pm - Athens, GA

Heather I don't have to take Phen-Fen  to know it's a crappy product. Stats prove that. It is what it is. Please remember this is a PUBLIC forum and EVERYONE is allowed to respond. The OP started this thread b/c she wanted feedback from the members here. I am as much a member of OH as you are, correct?

FormerlyFluffy.com

heathercross
on 6/12/13 8:47 am, edited 6/12/13 8:47 am - New York, NY

I'd never comment on a sleeve bc I don't have one.  Its as easy as that. 

MARIA F.
on 6/12/13 1:03 pm - Athens, GA

And that's fine. ON the other hand  I have researched the sleeve (as I have BOB) so I would confident commenting on most sleeve subjects. Have a nice night.

FormerlyFluffy.com

pineview01
on 6/12/13 8:27 am - Davison, MI

Heather I have had a band but, not a BOB.  How is your band different than a regular old band.  Does a different company make them for the BOB?  Are they a different size or material?  Do they put them on your pouch or are they smaller and go around you stoma?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

heathercross
on 6/12/13 10:16 am - New York, NY

When I say its different, I say that to those with a band - and have a band only.  I have had an RNY and I ALSO have a band as well.  Yes, its the same band - I have an Allergen 14cc band.  But, anatomically, I am different.  Its a s simple as that.  I have bypassed intestines, I know about the issues bandsters have but so far, they haven't happened to me. We also have our small intestines reconnected and we absorb less, even 11 yrs out.  We dump which keeps us from eating sugary **** We are - in my opinion - STRONGER than those who've only had one surgery - be it a band, a DS, and RNY, etc.  We relish the 2nd chance and we have knowledge they you all don't.  We are smart beyond our years.  We've seen success and some of us have hit goal and stayed there for 5-10 yrs and been seen as 'normal'.  Failure is not an option and we will cherish this 2nd chance everyday.  Thart's all I am saying.   

MsBatt
on 6/13/13 10:40 am
On June 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, heathercross wrote:

Maria, please don't comment on a surgery you haven't had.  A BOB is very different than a regular old band.  We've been thru this before.  Please just comment on what you know.

I get what you're saying about the anatomical differences between a BOB and a 'regular' Band. But it's still the same product, and it's still got the same limited lifespan of ten years or less.

pineview01
on 6/13/13 12:18 pm - Davison, MI

It will still erode and slip than and cause all the other issues of a band.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active