Revision Lap Band to Sleeve or RNY any advice or had to make same decision?

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/13 3:30 am

That is one of the reasons that I have been so scared of RNY a friend of my family passed away she had RNY and she couldnt hold any food down and I guess she had so many complications health wise she passed away she lost so much weight I heard if I saw her I would have not recordnized her so sad I was mortified when I heard this so as soon as my Dr mentioned RNY i jumped with regards to Sleeve.

Thank You so much for input

Sherrie P.
on 6/9/13 9:38 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Hi there.

I am band to RNY.  

LOVE MY DECISION!!

However, if I had met the BMI requirements for DS I would have done that - but my insurance would only pay for DS if your BMI was over 50.

The best thing is getting rid of the crap band.

You still have a tiny pouch and restriction even after the malabsorption phase ends. You can stretch your sleeve too.  You have to be careful with both surgeries.

Please remember that everyone is different. It is surpising how much so.

Good luck,

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

kbinaz
on 8/5/13 11:18 am

I may be too late with this response, sorry but I just read it!

I just had a consultation with my surgeon about revision surgery. (I was banded in 2007)  I was open to the sleeve and RNY.  The surgeon said that for people who are already banded she recommends having RNY.  The reason for this has something to do with the Vagus nerve.  Apparently in some band patients this nerve 'turns off".  It is necessary to have a functioning Vagus nerve for the sleeve to function.  The surgeon said there is no way of knowing beforehand which sleeve patients will have problems, but if the Vagus nerve isn't working it is a miserable experience to have the sleeve, because it just doesn't work.  If the nerve doesn't 'turn on', they have to re-operate and do RNY any way.  She said the sleeve is an excellent option for bariatric surgery virgins, but she doesn't recommend it for band patients.  She also said they can do surgery to remove the band, wait four months, then do the sleeve.  I did NOT want to have two more surgeries so I am going with RNY.  She also said that the sleeve is relatively new and there isn't long term data on its success - RNY results are good and the data is older.  She also said she has fewer post-op complications with RNY than with sleeves - sleeves are more likely to leak.  

Most Active