Revision Lap Band to Sleeve or RNY any advice or had to make same decision?

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/13 1:21 am

Good Morning,

I had Lap Band in 2008 with awful success and after many complications my surgeon suggested RNY or Sleeve. I have an appointment on July 5th to see which route I would like to go.

I was wondering if anyone have had to make this decision and if so which way did you go and how are you doing with this decision? 

Any regrets or success's any experience good or bad with either Sleeve or RNY would be greatly appreciated to help me with my decision which route I want to go. I have an idea but want some input.

Thank You

MsBatt
on 6/5/13 2:59 am

I strongly suggest that while you still have a relatively intact stomach, you research a procedure called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same, fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. The DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/13 6:56 am

Thank You I will look into that do not know much about it and I will ask my surgeon. Appreciate it.

MsBatt
on 6/5/13 9:45 am

The surgeon you list isn't a DS surgeon, so odds are good that he won't recommend it. (After all, you wouldn't expect the Cadillac dealer to tell you that you really needed a Lexus, now would you? *grin*) I suggest you research it YOURSELF, and if you're interested, consult with an actual DS surgeon.

You can get lots of good info about the DS, and see a list of vetted DS surgeons, here: http://www.dsfacts.com

Hislady
on 6/5/13 5:43 am - Vancouver, WA

If your only options are RNY or sleeve I'd say sleeve hands down! With a sleeve you keep your pyloric valve which helps hold the food in your stomach to make you feel full longer. Also with the RNY eventually after the first 18-24 mos. you lose the malabsorbing effect as the body learns to reabsorb the calories that used to not absorbed. Then there is the whole vitamin issue with RNY, you have to take lots of vitamins. With the sleeve you only usually need a multi vitamin a couple of times a day and maybe an extra vitamin or 2 if your labs show a need. There seems to be much less upkeep with the sleeve than the RNY. So good luck with your decision, I'd also suggest your read on both forums to get an idea of what each surgery is like.

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/13 6:57 am

Thanks for now im leaning towards sleeve but wanted to see other peoples experience's 

pineview01
on 6/5/13 7:49 am - Davison, MI

Many have had to make this choice and still more coming every day.  As long as they keep banding people will be looking at making this decision.

How well you did with the band can help you make your decision.  If you did well with restriction only when the band worked for you would indicate you will do great with the sleeve.  Also with the sleeve, if you do find down the road it isn't enough you can convert to a DS.  The sleeve was the first part of the two part DS and they found many, and these were people with LOTS to lose, did well with just the first part and didn't go back for the second, by pass part.

Now it you need lots to lose and you didn't do well with just restriction, I would ask about the DS, if they do it and you are covered.  The RNY would be my last choice for the above reasons.  Many of the RNYers are looking for bands over their bypass (BOB)  After somebody famous did it according to our center.  

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/13 3:27 am

Thanks for the input Im honestly just afraid of RNY for some reason it just freaks me out and my band was awful I have had it for 5 years and with no restriction at all even with fills and it hurts where the port is. So my surgeon mentioned RNY and I brought up the sleeve and she said for me to look into it to help me with a decision I need to lose 150 scary to think I have been fighting this battel most of my teenage and adult life.so much so that for years I felt this is me and who I am. Since I have gotten older and worried about my health for quite some time now and I want to live as long and healthy as I can for my child and Im looking for a road that I can be healthy and just so confused which way to go. 

I will speak to my surgeon I see him on the 7/5 and I will speak to him in regards to the DS together with Sleeve.

Thank You so much for all the info you provided I appreciate itl.

tm725
on 6/5/13 8:00 pm

HI,

I was a band to sleeve revision last July and as far as weight loss, I love my sleeve. The sad part is, I'm getting ready to be revised to RNY. I know some people commented that the best revision is to DS as we have the first portion of the DS already. If you have that option and have no history of reflux, that sounds like a great option. I personally now have refractory, damaging reflux and have to be converted to RNY as only the removal of the pyloric valve will decrease the pressure within the stomach. I wish you the best of luck with your decision. Aside from the reflux, I've loved the sleeve!

ButterflyAna
on 6/6/13 1:03 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I chose the sleeve over the bypass. I did this because my SIL had alot of complications from the RNY and passed away last November from those complications. I do not think any one surgery is better than the other but I do think that the sleeve is safer in the long run.
Good Luck no matter the choice.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Most Active