My second, seond chance

rj0274
on 6/5/13 7:49 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

Just received insurance approval and already locked in a surgery date for a laproscopic revision of a RNY procedure I had in 2005 that went bad. This time I know the pitfalls and hope to avoid previous mistakes.  I'm ready!

pineview01
on 6/5/13 7:59 am - Davison, MI

What are you having done?  What did they say was wrong?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

rj0274
on 6/5/13 11:04 am - TX
Revision on 07/03/13

the procedure is a jujemum diverticulum (sp?)  Basically, the surgeon is doing a laprocsopic revision that will re-create the original design of the pouch as well as remove a portion of my stomach that is not being used, but still creating ghrelin (hunger stimulating hormone).  The pouch created in the original surgery stretched out and developed a reservoir where food was detoured and did not digest or expel efficiently - therefore resulting in weight gain.

pineview01
on 6/5/13 12:03 pm, edited 6/5/13 12:08 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like what Our center ends up when they do a RNY after a sleeve. I would do a lot more research first.  What you end up with this procedure is the worst of both the sleeve and RNY.   You lose your pyloric valve with this procedure.  Your man made stoma can stretch back out and you will now not mal-absorb the calories but you can never absorb the vitamins.  Doing this surgery will leave you without options.

What you would most likely do best with is the RNY to DS.  This is the hardest revision and there aren't many surgeons that can do it.

I know I sound like doom and gloom.  But, this is a bad one and I was appalled when I heard our COE was doing this to sleeve patients.  Because, they know RNY and don't do DS, not alone RNY to DS.

Take care and I wish you the best.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 6/6/13 12:33 am

I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider! You really need to consult with one of these surgeons and investigate getting a true RNY-to-DS revision. It's the most successful revision out there, but the most difficult (for the surgeon, not the patient.) If you go through what your surgeon's got planned, you'll never be able to have another revision should this one not work. (And it rarely does.)

Dr. Keshishian, located in California

Dr. Rabkin, located in California

Dr. Stewart, located in Texas

Dr. Simper, located in Utah

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States 

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

Dr. Gagner in Canada and Dr. Greenbaum are also experienced surgeons, but please use caution, and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!

~Tonya ~
on 6/8/13 12:26 am - Tucson, AZ
Revision on 05/08/13

I agree, and you can add Dr. Patrick Chiasson, Tucson AZ to that list.  He's doing the lap RNY to DS revisions as well, and having excellent success rates!

Lap VSG March 11th 2006, Converted to DS May 8th 2013

From 294 to 165 with Sleeve, regained to 238, then had DS

MARIA F.
on 6/7/13 9:05 am - Athens, GA

I don't think you'll find a lot of good long term outcomes with that procedure. :-( I would suggest you chat with MsBatt about the DS!

FormerlyFluffy.com

michelle M.
on 6/18/13 11:48 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

I know that you already have your approval, and probably like your surgeon, and are really ready to get going with this, but honestly please please please listen to the others on this post.  You can change your plan and get other opinions with these other doctors who have had huge successes with the DS.  This is a life changing experience and like you said your second chance.  Please don't make it your last chance if something goes wrong.  Get the second opinion and go with the Ds.  My surgeon is wonderful and i love his bedside manner but he discouraged me from getting a DS, and now i know it is because he didn't do them and believed that the RYN was the best out there.  Don't settle get that second opinion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Michelle

Most Active