candy cane syndrome/blind loop

illinois Gama D.
on 5/26/13 9:28 am

i have what i believe  is blind loop, Dr is running one more set of CT scans then surgery , said that where  the intestine was bypassed and reattched is having issues, anyone have this? how was recovery? was it the same as the original surgery as far as recovery, liquids, pain? did you lose the regain? thank you , denise

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

pineview01
on 5/26/13 2:39 pm - Davison, MI

I haven't heard about this.  Did you ask on the RNY boards?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

illinois Gama D.
on 5/26/13 11:06 pm

I have posted there also, but it seems to be an rare issue,also called a blind loop i think? It usually means a revision so was hoping someone would  have  had it on this site/

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

pineview01
on 5/27/13 2:20 am, edited 5/27/13 2:46 am - Davison, MI

By Mayo Clinic staff

Blind loop syndrome occurs when part of the small intestine becomes bypassed. The "blind loop" formed by the bypassed intestine means food can't move normally through the digestive tract. The slowly moving food and waste products become a breeding ground for bacteria, which can lead to a condition called bacterial overgrowth. As a result, nutrients may not be fully absorbed. Blind loop syndrome often causes diarrhea and may cause weight loss and malnutrition.

Blind loop syndrome — sometimes called stasis syndrome or stagnant loop syndrome — often occurs as a complication of stomach (abdominal) surgery. But blind loop syndrome can also result from structural problems and some diseases. Sometimes surgery is needed to correct the problem, but antibiotics are the most common treatment.

Based on the below info I found, antibiotics would most likely not work and you will need surgery.  This is a link showing the need for surgery.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21167102

Here is a link showing info on it and how rare.  It makes you wonder, based on reports here if it is under reported.

http://www.eventscribe.com/2012/acg/ajaxcalls/postersinfo.as p?title=5952

Here is a link to the study they are talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17533103

Good luck and I hope everything resolves for you.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Ladytazz
on 5/28/13 12:25 pm

I don't know if I had blind loop but I did have chronic intestinal bacterial overgrowth (CIBO) and it was miserable.  Constant diarrhea, gas, bloating, horrendous odor and frequent accidents.  I was put on antibiotics many, many times, usually Flagyl and while it helped for a while it was not a permanent solution.  It always came back no matter what I ate or how much probiotics I took.  The only thing that cured it for me was a revision.  Try the antibiotics, along with a good probiotic, and see if that helps but if not you may want to consider a revision.

As far as my weight, I also had my stomach made into a RNY pouch and I lost more weight then I expected and I've kept it off for 2 years.  Restriction seems to be a big help for me.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

pineview01
on 5/28/13 1:11 pm - Davison, MI

And this is one of the cases that I have wonder if it wasn't undiagnosed RNY Candy Cane Syndrome/blind loop.

Most Active