Hernia, Lap band to VGS all in one day?

DonnaMaria
on 5/21/13 7:48 am

Has anyone had a hernia repaired, lap band removed and VGS all in one day. I have a very low tolerance for pain and this is really making me scared. Anyone else do it all in one swoop?

Hislady
on 5/21/13 9:18 am - Vancouver, WA

I haven't myself but have read of others having it done all in one surgery. The way I look at it why have pain 3 times when you can get it all over with one surgery. If your pain meds don't take care of the pain let your surgeon know and they can give you something stronger. Also take them as scheduled and don't wait till it starts hurting again. Stay on top of the pain and it's easier to keep it under control.

bgrandmabear
on 5/21/13 11:25 am

Yes i had mine all done on 9th april 2013 so glad i did it all did not know i had the herina till they got in there had band 3 years and pain most all the time.my Dr said he wanted it all done at one time not to go back in again why have the pain more then needed

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/13 2:44 pm
On May 21, 2013 at 2:48 PM Pacific Time, DonnaMaria wrote:

Has anyone had a hernia repaired, lap band removed and VGS all in one day. I have a very low tolerance for pain and this is really making me scared. Anyone else do it all in one swoop?

A hernia repair is usually no big deal, it's a simple suture.  That's all.  Band to sleeve revision is no big deal either, it wasn't for me.  A great deal depends on the skill of your surgeon.  It's no worse than being banded, easier in some ways.  I went to work the day after I got out of surgery.  It's really pretty simple surgery overall.

mandy2888
on 5/22/13 11:45 am - sioux falls, SD
RNY on 04/04/13
I had a hernia repair, band removal and rny the same day. It went well. Recovery was not as bad as I was expecting. Hope that helps even though its a little different.

pineview01
on 5/23/13 3:51 am - Davison, MI

I didn't have mine in one day as our surgery center makes you wait in between to allow you to heal.  I was upset at first until he gave reasons, recommendations and stats.  I was glad to have it done in two after seeing that almost all having complications were done in one.  Many having the all in one don't have problems.  But those that do and have more pain are all-in-one.

Does he give you a choice?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

DonnaMaria
on 5/25/13 2:34 am

The insurance company will only approve an all in one surgery. However if there is a reason that he can't do all in one then they will do it in two steps. I really don't want to wake up from surgery finding out they didn't do both.

pineview01
on 5/25/13 2:50 am - Davison, MI

My insurance said they would pay for an all in one.  I would have done the all in one if that was a way to get insurance to cover. The surgery center wouldn't do it due to the increased risk of complications.  So the insurance paid for band removal only.  I than had to show all the medical reasons for getting the band removed.  They proved it had to come out.  With all the documentation, I was able to get them to pay for the sleeve.  Now they would have paid to get the band removed and replaced without issues as the wording covered that.

I can't believe how much easier this sleeve is.  This is how I imagined the band would work.  You still have to have your head right and be willing to do the work.  But, the work and frustration trying to get the fill right is gone.  No more should I or shouldn't I. I haven't flown yet since getting the sleeve but, with the band I always could eat for a couple days after.  I had to take protein shakes with me on cruises to make sure I got the protein in the first day after flying.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TynettaM
on 5/28/13 6:58 am - Greensboro, NC

My Dr prefers to do it in two steps....according to him, he has seen better results.....less complications......

I had my band removed 4/24 and 7/3 is for my hernia and sleeve.

My insurance is BCBS....they didn't care if it was one step or two....

I was originally approved for one surgery ( all in one ), but switched surgeons.

Good luck...don't stress if you have to do it in two steps.......it's not that bad.....

listen to your body and let it heal properly...

Most Active