Not losing - did revision fail?

Srg2
on 5/21/13 1:03 pm - CA

I had my surgery March 15...lost 9 pounds the first week post-op then nothing for seven weeks.  Met with my doc two weeks ago and he said I was taking in too much protein so I lowered it to around 50g/day.  I lost three pounds quickly and then nothing again for the last week.  This makes my total weight loss since surgery 12 pounds.... I was a revision from band to bypass and I swear I have no restriction and I am getting really discouraged.  I am following my physicians diet and getting in all my water, vitamins, and exercise.  What is going on here?  Has anyone else experienced something similar?  What did you do to fix the problem?  I have thought about joining weigh****chers and doing a high protein version of it......so discouraged.  Please help.

~Ema

Revision - Lapband to RNY 3/15/2013 = Highest weight: 244 lbs, Surgery weight: 230 lbs, Goal Weight: 130         

Hislady
on 5/22/13 1:55 pm - Vancouver, WA

I find it hard to believe you were eating too much protein, I know people who do 100mg a day. Revision surgeries tend to take more work because your body is already used to being "fooled" so to speak by your previous surgery so it doesn't go as fast and you have to work harder. I think most folks who lose well keep their calories around 600-800 a day, protein 60-80 g, fluid 64+ oz. and at least 30 min of exercise a day. Most people do a high protein low carb diet and are successful. Keep at it and you'll get there eventually, good luck!

pineview01
on 5/23/13 4:10 am - Davison, MI

You are only 2 months out and your body needs to heal.  You have had all your nerve endings cut and they have to heal.  I was band to sleeve and for the first couple months I didn't think I had revision either and that I was going to fail.  It is very important to measure as your new pouch doesn't have any feeling to tell you it is full.

I also had the stalls and even a gain at 3/4 weeks out.  I UPPED my protein to 100+g and my calories to 1000-1200 at 2 months out and have lost 35 pounds since surgery (45 with the pre-op diet.)

I am on a FB page foe people having all different WLS at the same time.  Almost all had a big lost than a stall at least twice in the first couple months.  It has to do with the way the body breaks down fat and stores it to be freely used by the body.  Unfortunately doctors aren't required to study nutrition but give advise on it.

From all I have researched us revisions are slower than virgin WLS.  At that I am still losing as much as the slowest virgin VSG/RNY that didn't have tons to lose.  When I had the band their goal for me was to lose 40% EWL which put me at 210.  I hit that and a few more the first year.  When I got the sleeve they expected a 60% EWL which put me at 186.  My "idea" weight at bmi 25 is 150.  I had hit my success weight with the center at 4 months.

Keep the faith, fallow your plan and remember it is normal to have periods of weight loss and stalls.

Good luck!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sherrie P.
on 5/26/13 11:45 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Are you overeating?

You say you do not have any restriction - does that mean that you do not measure your food?

You still have to consider calories.  It's not just about protein.

Hang in there!!!!  You can do it. It is a different tool :-)

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active