RNY to VSG Revision

Christyb17
on 5/20/13 5:27 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

I am not posting this about myself, but I just found out that my Aunts surgeon is looking to revise her RNY to VSG when he goes in to do her 3rd hernia repair in the next couple months. The reason for the revision is due to her malabsorption issues. She is severely anemic and has had 2 or 3 blood transfusions in the last few years (pretty much one every year). she is 11 years out from her surgery and has been dealing with the anemia for at least 5 years now. I just found out my Mom (who is 6 years out) has been dealing with anemia for the last 3 months and her Dr isnt happy with her latest blood work. Both are on prescription iron 2 times a day with no success. Has anyone here been through this or have any insight or advice I can give to either of them?r

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

airbender
on 5/20/13 5:51 am

just a couple of things. I think revision would offer a much better quality of life.   rny to vsg is extremely technically challenging and there are only a handful of surgeons in the US that I would allow to perform this on me, I cant stress this enough  the other thing is , you don't state what kind of anemia your family has...if it is iron def. then infusions, which are traditionally infused 2x/year  it is not unususal to have rx for iron, even at 4 pills/day of proferrin forte.  rny to vsg would help just make sure you go to the correct surgeon, again there are maybe 5 in the country...good luck to your family in pursuit of health 

Christyb17
on 5/20/13 12:54 pm - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13
I'm not sure on the anemia but think it is iron deficiency. I wouldn't trust her surgeon with my surgery and found a different one for my vsg. She has nearly died every surgery he has done yet she trusts him still

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

Linda_S
on 5/25/13 10:50 am - Eugene, OR

I am awaiting approval for a rny to vsg.  Not only do I have anemia and other deficiencies, but I have severe dumping and hypoglycemia.  Getting a more normal digestive path restored is a good thing.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

pineview01
on 5/26/13 2:46 pm - Davison, MI

Sorry to hear your aunt is going thru this.  As Airbender said, there aren't many surgeons qualified to put things back.  Be careful who you let do this.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active