Heart burn after RNY surgery, does this mean things have grown back together??

ShaunaSchmunk
on 5/16/13 4:46 am - Calgary, Canada

Hello,

I had RnY 9 years ago and it was the best choice I ever made. But in the last couple of years my weight has been creeping up due to relaxed eating and drinking before and after meal schedules not taking my vitamins like I should and a bad accident that had left me bed ridden for a long time. I have been referred to the Edmonton Weight Wise reversion clinic but I am waiting to hear. I have been getting heart burn or acid reflux for the past few months and it is steadily getting worse. I talked to my doctor and he says that I shouldn't have heart burn because I have no stomach acid so this may be a sign that things have grown back together and would be another reason for the revision surgery. Has anyone experienced this??

jessica892
on 6/6/13 3:34 am - Poplar Bluff, MO

I had RNY 11 years ago. About 6 years ago I started having horrible acid reflux. Taking so many different antacids. Kept going to doctors and they kept prescribing different pills. NO ONE tested me even though they knew my history. Finally a bariatric surgeon moved to my area. After seeing him he had an EGD and Upper GI done. The Upper GI showed a huge fistula but the EGD confirmed complete reversal and polyps. A sample was taken and it was determined that my acid reflux was actually bile reflux. I am now working towards a revision and removal of part of my old stomach that contains the polyps.

pineview01
on 6/7/13 5:42 am, edited 6/7/13 5:43 am - Davison, MI

We have had people report acid reflux and a fistula  between pouch & stomach. Not sure if they are still around.  Shauna you need to see a doc either way. 

I have read up on the bile reflux, it is rarer and very bad.  Glad to here you got a doctor that knows what they are doing now Jessica

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active