Anyone do band over existing RNY?

katiekat412
on 5/14/13 10:03 am
I had RNY and I'm gaining. Did anyone get the band over RNY? Did it work? Seems like not the best idea but I have no restriction anymore.

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

Hislady
on 5/14/13 11:33 am - Vancouver, WA

It is done and some are very successful others not so much. Having just a band myself and knowing all the problems with just a band I personally couldn't recommend it. Bands are very dangerous long term.

mittens20
on 5/14/13 11:43 am - MD

i had the band removed 2 weeks ago it had slipped in 6 mo i will be doing gastric i guess thatis rny

BROWNIDGIRL
on 5/14/13 11:19 pm - MD

I was going to go with BOB (Band over Bypass), and the other poster is right, there are some successes with it (Heather Cross, for one).  However, I've researched and read about the band, and my gut (haha!) just tells me not to, and I'm okay with the decision.  I never got to goal because of some horrendous gyn issues, and have recently gone back to the basics and begun exercising again.  The weight's coming off - slowwwwly - but it IS coming off!

Good luck, whatever your decision!

Tia

heathercross
on 5/16/13 8:08 am, edited 5/16/13 8:09 am - New York, NY

Im a BOB.....red my profile and hit me up with any questions. It has worked for me. I am at 175, had regained from 305 to 175 back to 250. I am 2 years out with the BOB in June and 13 yrs out with the Gastric Bypass in August.  

Its tough, I ain't gonna lie - but, its a a godsend.  I have restriction which i NEVER had with the RNY.

katiekat412
on 5/18/13 10:59 am
I like your positivity
What would you say is challenging with band when compared to RNY? They both hav challenges for sure!

Rock on!

Highest weight 250/ SW 233/Lowest Weight 135/Regain Highest 175/Current Weight 160

daisies76
on 5/17/13 10:58 pm

I have the BOB.  I am only one week post op.  I know many people have talked about Band issues but as many have had issues, just as many have been successful.  I know a few people that have had the Band Over Bypass that do not post on here anymore because of the negativity about the band.  Everyone I have spoken with about the B.O.B are at or below their goal. 

I didnt want the DS because I was not about to go through another major surgery.  Plus I am lower in the BMI when I had it done (BMI 32) and my goal is to lose about 50lbs.  If I had 100 lbs or so to lose again, yes I would have looked at another option, but this one is the right one for me.   I didnt want the revision from RNY to RNY (my just fixing my original RNY or making my stomach smaller because I already had the RNY once and I know that, for me, it didnt last long term.  I started regaining weight after 7 years.  I would diet and still gain.  I would gain weight very quickly.  If I got the original RNY redone, a few years from now Id have a stretched stoma again. 

My original RNY was done in 8/2003 and I went from 228lbs to 138lbs.  I maintained around 140 for 7 years and then regained to 182.  Im 5'3. 

I did a lot of research, visited two separate surgeons that recommended this option for ME, and I spoke to many post op B.O.B's.  I was also told by both of my surgeons that the band has less of a slip rate when put over a gastric bypass patient because of the scar tissue with the RNY.  Not saying that it cant happen, but the slip rate is less.  That was one of my main concerns. 

Anyway, Im only 8 days post op and 13 lbs down.  I weighed 169 this morning, started at 182 the morning before surgery.  My goal is to be around 130 or even 125 if thats possible.  Ive never weighed 125.

Good luck with your decision, You can send me a private message if youd like and I can give you my email.  Im not on here all the time and you will find that many of the B.O.B's arent either because of the negativity. 

Good Luck!!  

katiekat412
on 5/18/13 10:56 am
Thank you! Our starting BMI for revision is very similar. Did you do the surgery in us? Did insurance cover? I'm prob going to Mexico.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/13 4:41 am

I have been posting on various band boards for over six years now.  In six years I have found about 5 people that still have a band after about 5 years.  In all the band after bypass people i have seen three did well, the others not.  But they are also not at their 5 year point either.

The band is not meant to be forever, it's temporary.  Even the band makers are saying this now.  So the bottom line is that since it is a temporary measure you are adding more scar tissue and more tissue damage with the band and when it fails, and it will, what will you do then??  :(

Most Active