Question about changes to taste buds?

Teneene
on 5/13/13 9:36 am - CT
Revision on 05/08/13

I've always loved my coffee first thing in the morning prior to my surgery.  I even began to drink it decaffeinated and black in preparation for my surgery and I still enjoyed it.  I couldn't wait to have my coffee again decaf and black with Splenda just recently.  To my surprise my coffee no longer smelled or tasted good to me.  It actually smelled and tasted like burned coffee and I couldn't even drink it.  I even bought a small decaf from Starbucks and the smell and taste were burned as well.  Once again I couldn't drink it.  Has anyone else's taste buds changed since having revision surgery?  I didn't experience this with the lap band.

Hislady
on 5/13/13 12:52 pm - Vancouver, WA

Yep I've read of it happening with all the surgeries, not to everyone but it is very common. I know my food of choice pre op was chocolate and after that changed to caramel. I used to hate anything caramel flavored. I've read on the sleeve and RNY forums where they also have taste changes, I've never read why but it does seem fairly common.

ButterflyAna
on 5/14/13 1:10 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
My taste buds have changed more with this revision then with my band. It is like I can taste the chemicals in everything. I used to really like icing, I tried a little taste on my finger from my sons cookie, it was horrid. All I could taste was the grease, I tried a tiny bite of a pringle I spit it out. It was also horrid. I think that being on protien drinks for the last two months and only blending in raw friuts and veggies combined with my surgery have really changed my taset buds. I am going completly organic, my husband thinks I am nuts but I can taste all the chemicals, I really do not know how i never noticed it before.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Most Active