Revision from vertical sleeve to added imbrication (plication)

Rheumtolose
on 5/13/13 6:49 am - NV

Hi All,

I wanted to put this post on here as there is little info out there on a revision from a vertical sleeve. I was sleeved in July of 2012. My starting weight was 252 and pre surgical weight was 235. My lowest weight which occurred 3-4 weeks post op was 213. I never felt the restriction that people speak of although my hunger was diminished for awhile. I have a top surgeon in the U.S. and he said I was just one of the very few out there that never have the restriction. We tried medication (diet pills) but I slowly gained weight.

I was 229 lbs when I had revisional surgery on May 3rd of 2013. My surgeon said he had plenty of room to gather and stitch. I originally had a 40f and he used a 36f on the imbrication. I'm at 218 lbs today, May 13th. I'm greatly optimistic as I now know the restriction I'm supposed to feel.

I know there are others out there that have had this problem with the sleeve. It can be discouraging to us when other successful sleevers tell us the rules (that we already know), tell us that it is a "lifestyle change" *** yes we know this), and in general treat us in an eerily renascent way of how once the successful dieters/naturally thin treated the unsuccessful dieters.

So to those that have had weight loss surgery and the weight has melted or is melting off you and everything is working as hoped for- don't forget where you came from and how it made you feel before wls when your latest diet didn't work. We are better than that people.

Hislady
on 5/13/13 12:49 pm - Vancouver, WA

This is just my personal opinion and I have a useless band and only lost 20 lbs total so I know what you mean. However I would stay fat the rest f my life before I would ever have a plication done, it is a horrid surgery from what I have read about it. There is a very real danger of parts of your stomach becoming necrotic or dying causing infections and danger of gangrene. A 40 bougie is huge and rarely used by most surgeons. So if this is a top surgeon I think I'd find me a hacker rather than use someone who uses too large a bougie in the first place and then "revises" his original failed surgery to make yet more money and putting your health at risk yet again with the plication. I truly hope you don't have any problems but the odds are not in your favor.

Rheumtolose
on 5/14/13 3:41 am - NV

Actually the surgery was easy, done outpatient and I was discharged in a few hours.  It will be two weeks this Friday and going back out on the road.  Here's the info on my surgeon from THIS site.  He told me that imbrication is emerging as a new effective tool in the wls arena.  I trust him very much and I believe he has my best interests in mind.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=sasse&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/13 2:33 pm

If your sleeve is big enough to plicate it is big enough to do a resleeve with a proper size.

There are plenty who have no restriction from a sleeve, they were done incorrectly.  When done correctly we have a ton of restriction.

Sorry you have a surgeon that put you through all this down to diet pills.  I wish you luck with your plication.

airbender
on 5/14/13 10:30 am

I don't have restriction but I am a revision patient, my esophagus was permanently damaged with my primary wls.  the surgeon expected that, every day is still difficult, i mean i eat, but i dont have restriction to say hey stop eating,  but i dont ever have that restriction, i understand it is really difficult

Rheumtolose
on 5/14/13 1:29 pm - NV

That sounds very difficult, what type of revision did you have?  I so get the not having the "hey stop eating" feel.  I'm optimistic this time round as it feels very different.  I think I'm feeling the restriction that I was supposed to but didn't after the first wls.  Also, when did you have your revision?  :) 

Most Active