Band Revision--Sleeve or Bypass?? Can't decide!

marlab64
on 5/27/13 2:50 am - Bucks County, PA

Help!!!  My surgeon has submitted to my insurance for the sleeve but something keeps nagging at me to have the bypass!!! Do you think one is more effective than the other?  Keeping long term results in mind.  If I changed my mind to bypass, is that a big deal as far as insurance?

Thanks!

MsBatt
on 5/27/13 3:45 am

The long-term, maintained weight-loss stats are about the same, but the RNY/gastric bypass has more potential complications. If you really want the best long-term results, go with the Duodenal Switch. It has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY.

Hislady
on 5/27/13 10:38 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Ms. Batt again. kiss However if the DS isn't possible I'd for sure say go with the sleeve, far fewer complications!

pineview01
on 5/27/13 2:14 pm - Davison, MI

I would and did pick the sleeve over the RNY.  I wanted to keep my pyloric valve intake and I did OK with restriction only.  I am four months out with the band to sleeve revision.  I lost all the regain, I had the band out 4.5 months before I was sleeved.  I am down  another 15/20 pounds lower than I every was with the band in 3.5 years.  This is 46 pounds with the 2 week liquid diet and four months sleeved.  Revision are said to be slower so I am very happy with my loss.

I feel like things are going like I had thought the band would do and didn't.  After the first 2 months, I have a constant restriction, get full on small amounts and the biggy the hunger it tamed. Remember that lap band commercial with the lion and kitty cat, that is the sleeve.  You still need to choose to eat good foods over junk to till up on but, with the sleeve you can eat that food.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MARIA F.
on 5/31/13 9:10 am - Athens, GA

I am hoping to revise to VSG, however I consider DS and RNY to both be excellent options. DS is the most effective statistically though.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Linda_S
on 5/31/13 2:41 pm - Eugene, OR

I'd go with the sleeve.  You do not want to end up in my situation.  I had an RNY.  I have severe hypoglycemia and can eat nothing but protein and greens.  No yogurt, beans, rice, bread, pasta, fruit, etc.  I think I'm headed for some severe nutritional deficiencies.  Retain as much of a normal digestive path as you can -- go for the sleeve.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

tonnabug
on 6/4/13 9:11 am - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

I just revised from band to sleeve April 29.  I had a lot of complications, but I am doing better now.  I was terrified of the RNY in 08 when I got the band and was still not comfortable with it!!  You have to do what is right for you.... do whatever you have peace about.  That said, each procedure has it's own procedure code.  If your insurance approved the code for sleeve, your doc office would have to change the code and get approval for RNY.  I think this is a technicality - don't let it make your decision for you!! 

Good luck!

Tonya

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

Most Active