revison from open ryn bypass in 2003 to sleeve due to complacations fistula etc.

Misti Earney
on 5/25/13 1:16 am - rolla, MO

I have a 2 part question? The people that have had revison surgery from gastric bypss due to fistula,ulcers and streched pouch after 10 yrs and going from 387 to 130 and never having a clue so much was wrong. I noticed a small weight gain 5 pounds then 10 onto 20 which made me rush to my surgeon to see if something could explain the weight gain and i have to say i did have more hunger than normal all probley with in 2 months ..soo back to my question ( sorry.) how has the weight loss been with the sleeve after bypass ..im really scared i wont lose back the 40 i have gained and worse yet have the help of surgery to keep it off as i have always been so lucky to manage.? what are the differences between the 2 surgerys would you say ? I am not familar with the sleeve at all and I go into surgery Tuesday....Sooo is there paticular measurments that they make in the sleeve ..another words does one certin number mean your sleeve is smaller there by you will consume less and if so what is that or those numbers ...?? I know i am rambeling on jumping from one thing to another..ok so today is Saturday morning i will have surgery Tuesday morning ..I was told only this much that as of today i am on clear liquids and that is for the purpose of shrinking the liver to ease it away from stomache to help surgeon during surgery? please any and all feed back i would so appreciate ...

Misti Earney
on 5/25/13 8:22 pm - rolla, MO
Hislady
on 5/26/13 9:02 am - Vancouver, WA

First I'd suggest going to the sleeve forum and also to the right of the page should be a list of the surgeries so read those. That should give you an idea of what the surgery invloves, personally I wouldn't go ahead with a surgery unless I knew exactly what all it involved but that's me.

The sleeve is a very good surgery and if you follow a high protein low carb diet you should do well, also make a point to under eat your sleeve. That means eat the amount your surgeon or nut tell you and don't try to eat more just to see if you can! That will get you in trouble every time.

As for a number, some docs us what is called a bougie to shape the stomach and those come in different sizes. Usually the surgeon uses whatever size he is familiar with using so you don't always get a choice of size. Usually a mid 30s size is good size. Now I haven't had the revision but have been reading on it. Oh and as far as you being a failure many people have problems with the bypass after the body learns to absorb the calories again. You will not have the malabsorbtion to help you but your stomach will be much smaller and you will have to watch what and how much you eat but you should be able to drop the 40 lbs. You have hopefully have made lifestyle changes by now with your bypass so you should do well.

Misti Earney
on 5/26/13 4:09 pm - rolla, MO
MsBatt
on 5/27/13 3:50 am

With the Sleeve, you will no longer have any malabsorption. Of course, you probably don't, anyway, since so little is bypassed in the RNY that most folks' bodies can overcome it in about 18-24 months. In your situation, I'd find myself a true RNY-to-DS revision surgeon and get a real DS.

Misti Earney
on 5/28/13 12:14 am - rolla, MO
I think what you are saying is exactly right .. I'm scheduled for surgery at 1130 this morning ... Ohh what to do .. Ummm if he refuses me this option .. After being revised from bypass to sleeve if it fails now or after after surgery today by allowing me no help with weight loss.. Do u or anyone know if at that point a person can have any further revisions ever? Thanks for reposting
MsBatt
on 5/28/13 5:03 am

It would help if we knew who your surgeon is. It's quite possible he's not a DS surgeon, and that's why he wants to go with the Sleeve. But yes, once you have a Sleeve (and make sure you get a copy of your surgical notes, so you'll now for certain exactly what he's done), you CAN add the intestinal portion of the DS, called the Switch. (But I'd find a different surgeon, if for no other reason than that this one isn't addressing your concerns.)

pineview01
on 5/26/13 2:37 pm - Davison, MI

I am very interested to hear about what they are doing.  Are they putting your stomach and intestines back the way it was and than doing the sleeve?  I know that is very hard to do and only a few surgeons do it.  Most of those are usually done for the DS.x

When they do the sleeve they do use the bougie for a guide.  But as people have different size stomachs, they can use the same size and people would have different capacities.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Misti Earney
on 5/28/13 12:30 am - rolla, MO
As stupid as this is going to sound .. It is what it is .. I am just not sure what the hell he is going to so beyond the fact of calling this revision a sleeve revision .. I wanted sleeve and ds but he would not even consider it due to me not being drastically over weight .. Which is why I wanna just scream I have a 40 pound weight gain as of today and I don't see a bigger stomach helping me lose it .. I'm going to try to attempt to please my case on the way to the or room at 1 today but I'm sure he will stll refuse .. Is there revisions that u have heard of for this if this fails me with no weight loss and more weight gain .. Is there any hope or can u only be revised once .. I'm wondering at what point u run out of stomach to revise ya know ..
Misti
I will be out of surgery approx 5 pm today if all goes well and I will be sure to follow up with ya here to let u know the out come .. Thanks I hope this is a new journey leading to new weight control as originally ..
emelar
on 5/28/13 7:50 am - TX

You won't have a bigger stomach.  Yes, they'll sew your remnant stomach back to the top part of your stomach.  But the sleeve removes 80-85% of the entire stomach, so you're left with more restriction than you have now.  Your volume will increase a little over time, but there's no stoma to stretch and no blind stomach to develop a fistula in.  Yes, you should be able to re-lose your weight with the sleeve.

Most Active