Anyone else have a stricture from band (when revising to sleeve)??

tonnabug
on 5/16/13 11:19 am - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

I had my band 4-1/2 years.  I had revision from band to sleeve on April 29.  I did ok for a week and a half.... then had increasing trouble getting down liquids.  I was re-admitted to hospital and a barium showed significant delay in liquid emptying from my esophagus.  My surgeon wanted to start with meds as treatment first, using toradol, steroids, and fluids.  I am supposed to monitor myself and if starts to get worse again, we will plan a dilation.  

I am happy with my surgeons care, I think he is doing all he can - but I am still nervous!!  I have read so many stories about achalasia (poor motility in esophagus), feeding tubes, other major issues!!  Has anyone been through this? What was your treatment? And how are you doing??   

Thanks!!

Tonya

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

Genita J.
on 7/19/13 7:37 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/21/13

How are u now?  I am planning to have band remove for sleeve next month.  Any tips for me?

~Nita~

pineview01
on 7/20/13 12:58 pm - Davison, MI

That is one of the risk from having the band to sleeve operation in one surgery.  I haven't seen it yet in anyone having the surgery in two parts with a wait of several months in between for the stomach to heal.  But I have seen several report the stricture and having to have it dilated.

After seeing this happen a lot I was no longer unhappy with the surgeon making me wait and do it in two surgeries.  

Good luck and take care.  Glad you have that band out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active