Starting to investigate solutions

enufisenuf
on 5/10/13 8:11 am - Gold Hill, OR

I just and a three month appointment with my bariatric surgeon and am still having some complications that I shouldn't be having a this point (almost 3 years). I am starting to investigate what might be the next steps I need to take.  A little background (I'll try to make it short)...I had a marginal ulcer @ 6 weeks out, took Nexium/Carafate and it seemed to heal.  Had a hard time losing weight very quickly, had BMR tested, it was fine so continued with liquid diet for another 2-3 months.  Nearly reached goal at 15 months, was able to maintain until 22 months. At 18 months out, wasn't able to keep solids down well (meat particularly), had another endoscope. It appeared to be ok but he removed a foreign object (staple) and gave it to me in a jar (didn't know what that was about, if routine or not).  At 22 months out, had regained about 10# and developed severe diarrhea which lasted for 6 months.  Was on Cipro/Flagyl/Lomotil during that time..didn't help much.  Gastroenterologist did colonoscopy and told me that he thought it was late stage dumping.  Finally got a metallic taste in my mouth so started eating salty things (crackers) to get rid of it.  Gained another 30# and was very anemic so had 5 iron infusions.  I am taking my vits & eating protein (100 gr.) but am now becoming anemic again.  I started a strict exercise, eating program (BodyFitMedia) in January but in 7 weeks only lost 3.5#.  I have had a lot of "hunger" issues, try to control with activities, distraction, etc. but am still fighting the urge to eat most of the time. Have had several episodes of hypoglycemia (blood sugar in the 40's). I feel that this is something I should be able to control but seems like a runaway train..don't know where to begin.  Not sure if it is all my fault for not doing a better job with my pouch or something that is just happening.

maxwell2012
on 5/31/13 12:00 pm

Don't blame yourself, never blame yourself!  It sounds like you are doing the right thing.  Keep going back to the surgeon until you get the solutions to these problems.  They won't go away on their own and it sounds like it is procedure induced.  Good Luck.

Whit
on 5/31/13 2:09 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Document everything you are doing. Make sure you have all of your medical records. If you opt for a revision you will need proof you have been compliant for the most part. I think you would have gained weight even if you did not eat crackers.  I had revision surgery from RNY to DS in December. I had marginal ulcers, sever dumping and had gained almost all of my weight back. I am down 70 pounds and pretty health. It has not been easy but it has been worth it.

Good luck to you

Whit

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

enufisenuf
on 6/4/13 5:49 am - Gold Hill, OR

Thanks for your reply.  How different do you feel with the DS vs the RNY? I have had late stage dumping with bouts of severe diarrhea.  I have heard that diarrhea sometimes goes with the DS procedure.  I don't want to add to that problem. 

Whit
on 6/4/13 1:36 pm
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi,

I have had loose bowels but I only go 2-3 times a day. I have only had to dash to the restroom once. It really has not impacted me to much. I feel pretty good now. I am only 6 months from revision and have a ways to go yet. My profile has more info about my experiences. You need to find a vetted DS revision surgeon. This is your life and you should not compromise or risk your life. 

Go to dsfacts.com there is tons of information. Where are you in the country? 

Think twice cut once.

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

enufisenuf
on 6/5/13 1:41 am - Gold Hill, OR
I am in southern Oregon..very rural area. I had surgery on the coast. Surgeon is experienced in revision. I am most concerned about the diarrhea since late stage dumping made 25 trips to the bathroom common day & night.
MsBatt
on 6/5/13 2:52 am

The surgeon you list is NOT experienced in doing a true RNY-to-DS revision. Here's a list of the surgeons who are:http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4599894/RNY-to-DS -revision-surgeons/

Most DSers I know have 1-2 BMs a DAY.

pineview01
on 6/5/13 12:30 pm, edited 6/5/13 12:31 pm - Davison, MI

You haven't met my sister or any of the DSer's we know.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 6/5/13 12:53 pm

Well, no. (*grin*) I based this statement on a poll we took on the DS board about a year ago, where the overwhelming response was 2 BMs per day, generally in the early AM. But of course not everyone's going to be the same.

Most Active