And it start's all over agan

shananignz
on 4/29/13 2:13 am

Hiya everyone. I got banded back in '09. Pretty much as soon as I had the surgery I started having really weird complications. Like, uber rare complications. Needless to say, my band has been deflated since about a year after my surgery for fear of setting off these complications again with a fill. One of the worst parts of this band is that I can't vomit. At all. Which sucks because I have the stomach flu right now and I have pulled all the muscles in my stomach from trying to be sick when I can't. It isn't pleasant. But anywho, I went to see a new doctor and am now in the process of getting a revision done to a bypass. It will take six months before the surgery can be scheduled, but so worth the wait. I can't wait to get this damn thing out of me. Wish me luck!

MsBatt
on 4/29/13 6:10 am

I read your profile---you have a way with words. (*grin*) I'm going to suggest that you research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. Unlike the RNY/gastric bypass, the DS preserves your pylorus and all normal stomach function, AND it has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period. The DS makes your stomach smaller (like the Sleeve) and bypasses a significant portion of your small intestine, giving you permanent malabsorption of calories. (The malabsorption of calories caused by the RNY is temporary---your body overcomes it in 18-24 months, and you're back to diet and exercise.)

Hislady
on 4/29/13 6:18 am - Vancouver, WA

I'm always glad to see someone getting rid of these torture devices! I hope all goes smoothly for you and the 6 mos. flies by, best of luck to you!

shananignz
on 4/29/13 10:10 am

Aren't they just the worst! I get so jealous of people who have success with them. My boyfriend had it as well and lost 200 pounds. Meanwhile I have gained 15 since my initial visit back in '09. Le sigh. 

Linda_S
on 4/29/13 11:38 am - Eugene, OR

Oh can I relate!  I didn't have a band, but ever since my RNY, I've been unable to vomit.  Food poisoning takes on a whole new level of misery when you can't get rid of the offender!  I'm with the others on recommending the DS or a sleeve - keep your pyloric valve.  Seeing as you've already got bizzare complications, you don't want to risk nesidioblastosis.  I've got it, and it sucks.  I'm looking at revising to DS or sleeve.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active