Band > Sleeve tomorrow morning!! QUESTION re: GERD!

tonnabug
on 4/28/13 7:17 am - Huntsville, AL
Revision on 04/29/13

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning for band > sleeve revision!!  My biggest concern remains the reflux issues!  I had severe GERD prior to the band surgery!!  I mean sick, sick, sick.... burning all the way into my ears & no relief could be found!!!  It was miserable!!!  My surgeon assures me it is ok.... but I keep seeing that the sleeve is not really a great choice for GERD patients!!??!  So, what's the real deal??

Began journey in 2007 at 312, had Lap band 2008, lost 40 pre-op then 24 post op, regained to 319.  Lost 39# on my own, then revised to VSG 4/29/13 @ 280.

Hislady
on 4/28/13 8:12 am - Vancouver, WA

You know it is sooo individual I've read of people who had it really bad before and had no problems after and others who never had it and got it horribly after the sleeve so it's just hard to tell. I do know the band increases GERD really badly. I would trust your surgeon and often you may have some for a while un the beginning and then it goes away after the stomach is more healed. I'll be praying that yours goes away completely and that nothing slows you down with your new journey. I hope you and hubby both end up as skinny and gorgeous as you both dream of!

spiceygirl
on 4/28/13 11:19 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Hi Tonnabug!

I have really bad reflux/GERD too & I am also getting the  band-to-sleeve revision because I have a slip. That slip is causing the isssues. I also heard from several sources, online, and medical providers that the sleeve may or may not cure the GERD and that you will have to be on acid reflux meds for awhile after surgery especially if you've had it prior to surgery. They say the DS or the RNY is the way to go to eliminate the GERD. I say no than you, I will take my chances with the sleeve. Talk with your doctor to see what is best for you, everyone is different since the reflux could be caused by ulcers or other conditions. I know the surgery will go well. Blessings to you.

~Diana

lynnh87
on 5/4/13 11:51 am
Diana,
I have a question, How do u know if the band slip?
I had my band dnone in Houston and wanting to have the revision done.
Thinking about going to Mexico because my ins will pay to remove but NO other WLS.
Thank,
Lyn
Linda_S
on 4/29/13 11:34 am - Eugene, OR

I'm not an expert, but from what I've read, you're going to be missing the largest acid-producing part of your stomach.  Your job will be to make sure that you don't overfill your pouch so that you aren't pushing acid back up, but you should be in a better situation.  I have to tell you that I'd recommend the sleeve or DS to any WLS patient, as I had an RNY and I'm really suffering with hypoglycemia.  Do anything you can to keep your pyloric valve, which you will keep with sleeve or DS.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

ButterflyAna
on 4/30/13 5:36 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I am two months post op band to sleeve. I have horrible acid reflux. I take meds that seem to help keep it undercontol but some days it is pure hell. My Dr. says that once the swelling is down it should get better. I hope he is right but if not its still better for me than the band ever was.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

lynnh87
on 5/4/13 11:54 am
To everyone that has the revision done
Where and how much is it. I really don't want to have two surgery's.
Ins will pay to remove, will NOT pay for the sleeve.
I would like to do it at the same time.
Thinking about going to Mexico.
Thanks for any help with this.
Lynn
Most Active