revision scared and unsure

Lexy187
on 4/22/13 2:57 am - TX

Hello everyone My name is Alexis and I'm in a bit of a pickle. On July 25th 2007 I had my lap-band done by Dr. Ponce needless to say the first year was great lost 60lbs felt awesome then I had complications and now all the weight is back. I went to see the bariatric surgeon here in Texas (just got stationed here) Dr. Nancy Marquez and she recommends the band be removed and to do the RNY. This scares me to death I wanted to do the sleeve but it is not covered by my insurance. My family is completely against the RNY and all i can think of is the horror stories associated with it. Some insight would be great.

ButterflyAna
on 4/22/13 6:01 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I am a band to sleeve revison so I do not know much about revison to RNY, but just wanted to say do what is right for you not your family. They are not the ones that live with it. You have to think about yourself first on this.

Good Luck on your decision.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

patty W.
on 4/26/13 1:03 am - gi, ny
I had rny in 2000.....did wonderfully...lost 120 pounds! That was thirteen yrs ago, and I gained about forty back. My surgeon moved out of state since and I found a new one for consult. 8 days post op rny-a sort of tightening of pouch and closing up the stoma. I feel great! Same full feeling etc.

Good luck. Rny is so much safer now than when I had it. So many improvements!
Patty
busyrn
on 4/22/13 8:14 am

I had my band 11/06 I am having my revision done on 4/29. I am a nervous wreck but after all my research and talking with my surgeon I am having the rny. I will have to let you know how it goes. Yes there are lots of horror stories but know one tends to bring up all the success stories. You follow your gut instincts and do what is best for you:)

Sherrie P.
on 4/23/13 11:51 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Not trying to be snarky.. but there are flat ton of Lapband horror stories!! I know, I was one.

I had my band to RNY revision on February 6th.  Zero complications.  Could not be happier.

I thought about the sleeve, but chose RNY instead.

I feel like the complication rate of the RNY is higher than the sleeve for sure - but I went for malabsorption.

Good luck with your decision.  I hated every minute of my Crapband ordeal ... life is better without it!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

MsBatt
on 4/25/13 11:48 am
On April 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM Pacific Time, Sherrie P. wrote:

Not trying to be snarky.. but there are flat ton of Lapband horror stories!! I know, I was one.

I had my band to RNY revision on February 6th.  Zero complications.  Could not be happier.

I thought about the sleeve, but chose RNY instead.

I feel like the complication rate of the RNY is higher than the sleeve for sure - but I went for malabsorption.

Good luck with your decision.  I hated every minute of my Crapband ordeal ... life is better without it!

Just curious---since you say you chose the RNY because you wanted the malabsorption, did you ever consider the DS?

BetsyLynnr
on 4/23/13 12:31 pm - IA

I had my band removed this past Thursday.  I had bad complications, constant heartburn, vomiting.  I had a slipped band and a horrible hiatal hernia.  My stomach was so bad they had to remove it.  I was told i can do a sleeve in 6 months after allowing my stomach to heal.  Right now i wont do it.  The last year of my life was miserable.  I saw one doctor and they misdiagnosed my slipped band as a tight band.  Took all my fluid out andsent me on my way.  I finally went to a new doctor after a year of being pushed off.  I was rushed into surgery that day.  Good luck with your revision.  I just do not feel like the surgery was worth it for me

Lexy187
on 4/25/13 8:26 am - TX

Thank you everyone for responding I've decided for now to just have the band removed and try my damnedest to do the weight loss on my own just stick to my lap band diet and move forward RNY scares me to much which is why i chose the Band in the first place. Surgeon is currently trying to dissuade me from this but on the same token this is my body not hers.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/13 6:59 am

I am an RNYer and I believe that for every horror story I heard I heard 3 non-horror stories.  If everything is going great you don't tend to post.  I have had some regain and anemia other than that I've had no problems in 6.5 years.

Most Active