Newbie here. Hi :-)

Hopeful4
on 4/22/13 6:39 am
VSG on 05/03/13

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a long time and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

I've struggled with weight my whole life. I was the fat kid that grew up into the fat adult. I've been on weigh****chers and LA weight loss numerous times, I've done the atkins diet and meridia pills, and 6 years ago I got a Lapband.

My surgeon called me his ''unique'' Lapband patient because in the beginning before I got any fills I did great. I lost 60 pounds in a little under 5 months and I was happy because I didn't feel like I was missing out. I could eat what I wanted - protein first - and with just a little bit I was full! Once I started getting fills, I either had full restriction where it was hard to drink or no restriction where I could eat anything. It was quite hard mentally and needless to say here I am at square one.

Also with my Lapband I did not tell anyone except for my immediate family. With the sleeve I am telling people, but I find it hard to tell people because in a large sense I feel like a failure that I need it. On the flip side I'm hoping telling people will help me do better.

Since then I've had two children. What is funny is that when I'm pregnant I lose weight effortlessly! with my first I lost 30 pounds, and my second 50 pounds! Nursing, unfortunately, helped me gain it all back with some friends.

I never really liked the RNY for whatever reason but I would have it if I needed it. After talking with my current surgeon (my Lapband surgeon left the hospital) he told me about the sleeve and thought it would be a great fit for me.

My problem is that all these past diets and especially the Lapband surgery are like past relationships and I find I'm having trust issues. I hope the sleeve works because I truly believe I can't do this on my own but I'm skeptical too. I REALLY want this to work and you really don't know until you're done and out for a few years.

I saw someone mentioned in a different topic that they felt that someone who could lose weight with dieting but has trouble keeping in off was the best candidate for this surgery. I'm not that person. I've always had trouble even losing weight. I just don't know if it was metabolic issues or I didn't give it enough time because I get so hungry! When I get hungry I tend to have cravings and I try to fight them but they are so strong and seem to compile one on another!

My deepest wish is that the sleeve really will take away my hunger and limit my calories where I feel like I'm living a normal life.

Did any of you have a Lapband that revised to a sleeve? Anyone have these feelings? Any people that feel like they've failed with the sleeve with thoughts of why? Anyone go in with ''trust'' issues or feel like a failure for needing surgery at all?

On a side note I started my liquid diet and I'm having a really hard time! Besides the cravings (lasagna and a hot dogs so far...) (I have NOT given in!), I am truly hungry. My stomach is growling and I feel very weak. Does this get better?

Thank you so much for all your support, I could really use some.

I'm sorry in advance for any delay in response - I'm getting used to being a member and all that comes with it.

pineview01
on 4/29/13 3:20 pm - Davison, MI
On April 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM Pacific Time, Hopeful4 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a long time and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

I've struggled with weight my whole life. I was the fat kid that grew up into the fat adult. I've been on weigh****chers and LA weight loss numerous times, I've done the atkins diet and meridia pills, and 6 years ago I got a Lapband.

My surgeon called me his ''unique'' Lapband patient because in the beginning before I got any fills I did great. I lost 60 pounds in a little under 5 months and I was happy because I didn't feel like I was missing out. I could eat what I wanted - protein first - and with just a little bit I was full! Once I started getting fills, I either had full restriction where it was hard to drink or no restriction where I could eat anything. It was quite hard mentally and needless to say here I am at square one.

Also with my Lapband I did not tell anyone except for my immediate family. With the sleeve I am telling people, but I find it hard to tell people because in a large sense I feel like a failure that I need it. On the flip side I'm hoping telling people will help me do better.

Since then I've had two children. What is funny is that when I'm pregnant I lose weight effortlessly! with my first I lost 30 pounds, and my second 50 pounds! Nursing, unfortunately, helped me gain it all back with some friends.

I never really liked the RNY for whatever reason but I would have it if I needed it. After talking with my current surgeon (my Lapband surgeon left the hospital) he told me about the sleeve and thought it would be a great fit for me.

My problem is that all these past diets and especially the Lapband surgery are like past relationships and I find I'm having trust issues. I hope the sleeve works because I truly believe I can't do this on my own but I'm skeptical too. I REALLY want this to work and you really don't know until you're done and out for a few years.

I saw someone mentioned in a different topic that they felt that someone who could lose weight with dieting but has trouble keeping in off was the best candidate for this surgery. I'm not that person. I've always had trouble even losing weight. I just don't know if it was metabolic issues or I didn't give it enough time because I get so hungry! When I get hungry I tend to have cravings and I try to fight them but they are so strong and seem to compile one on another!

My deepest wish is that the sleeve really will take away my hunger and limit my calories where I feel like I'm living a normal life.

Did any of you have a Lapband that revised to a sleeve? Anyone have these feelings? Any people that feel like they've failed with the sleeve with thoughts of why? Anyone go in with ''trust'' issues or feel like a failure for needing surgery at all?

On a side note I started my liquid diet and I'm having a really hard time! Besides the cravings (lasagna and a hot dogs so far...) (I have NOT given in!), I am truly hungry. My stomach is growling and I feel very weak. Does this get better?

Thank you so much for all your support, I could really use some.

I'm sorry in advance for any delay in response - I'm getting used to being a member and all that comes with it.

I had a lapband 2/25/09.  I had it removed 9/4/12 and was sleeved 1/22/13.  I am so very happy with it.  It does take care of really hunger.  I still have to deal with head hunger but, the sleeve lets me know the difference.  There are many, many people on the vsg boards that started with the band.  Most will tell you the sleeve does what you were told the band would do but didn't.  The band NEVER helped with hunger at all.  The sleeve does.

The liquid pre-op diet is a tuffy.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active