Revision question...

bublegirl1
on 4/25/13 11:37 pm
RNY on 11/10/14
Hello..new to this forum and I wanted to ask why I see a lot of people say revision patients always tend to lose very slow. I have read that about all types of revisions so I just wanted to know why, medically, it is that way. It seems like you should be able to lose weight at a good weight if you are having a whole new procedure done. Does it have to do with a lower starting weight the second time around? Thanks!!

-Amie

Whit
on 4/26/13 7:28 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Hi Amie,

I had revision from RNY to DS in December and to date I have lost 62 pounds. I do not think that is slow. However I have slowed down but I only have 25-27 more to go so it should slow down right? I think it depends on the type of revision and the individual involved.

Best,

Whitney

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

TamaraL
on 4/27/13 4:48 am

i asked this question before my revision and the dr said it was because most people are a lighter weight.  There is no scientific reason we should lose slower

heres what if think it is.  we already had one surgery so we are not afraid to start eating things sooner than some people. 

My first 6 months is when i lost the majority of my weight.  i really did not lose any after 6 months so I am also not sure if this is because of surgery or i started back old habits!!  I do know that i ate more after 6 months

Tamara

bublegirl1
on 4/27/13 1:30 pm
RNY on 11/10/14
Thank you both for your replies. Both answers is what I was really thinking about the whole situation. Makes total sense. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

-Amie

ButterflyAna
on 4/30/13 6:30 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
This is my take. We are already used to eating smaller quanties of food. When a new person gets the surgery their body is used to large amounts of food so when they cut back on calories the weight just flies off until their bodies get used to smaller quanties. In my case I was eating around 800 calories a day and was stalled for 3 years. I now eat 1000 calories a day and am losing weight. My body needed more food and it is getting more in the way of liquids (Protein Shakes). I have lost 22 pounds, and have stalled again.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Ladytazz
on 4/30/13 12:36 pm

As I said in a recent post, I have lost more and faster then I did the first time, but I also completely revamped the way I eat.  I know why I failed my first WLS and I learned from my mistakes and cut out sugar and gluten, which I couldn't stop eating. I don't think there may be a medical reason for losing slower with a revision as much as whether or not we have addressed whatever issues may have caused us to need a revision.  Obviously, not everyone who needs a revision because they failed their first WLS.  The surgery may have not been done right or it may have failed, or just not been the right procedure for us.  I can only speak for myself.  I failed my first surgery because I expected it to do all the work and that I wouldn't need to do a thing.  Obviously bad thinking but my surgeon didn't require and kind of pre op psychological exams and it had no pre op or post op education.  They cut me and sent me off to figure it out for myself and I didn't do well.  I never even saw a nutritionalist.  Things are a lot different now, thankfully, but back then I had high expectations from the surgery.  It took years for me to finally figure out that it really is just a tool and now I am actually using it I am doing better.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active