Is revision surgery done on the same day or at different times?

ButterflyAna
on 4/22/13 6:06 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
I had alot of complications with my band. I had my lap band placed in 2008 then it was removed due to horrible slip and flipped port and replaced with a realize band in 2010 then I had a flipped port fixed in 2011. I threw up everyday for almost 5 years. I had plenty of scar tissue but my band was removed and revised to the sleeve in one day. It was painful but not unbearable. It was the first time in 7 surgeries that I took pain meds.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

spiceygirl
on 4/24/13 11:33 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Wow ButterflyAna, with you going through all of that, I am sure that was really misreable for you to be like that for 5 years. Thats good that your doc was able to do it all in one day even with the scar tissue. My stomach is sensitive with the band. Ive been having issues since I moved to Austin Texas in early 2007. Its the allergy capital of the world. Bad nasal drainage kept my stomach irritated for 7 years. Its been a misreable and I cant wait to get this thing out of me.

rtm
on 4/23/13 10:47 pm - NY
VSG on 08/20/13

I had the same question.  My surgeon does a lot of revisions and said that he prefers to do it in one because overall there is less risk for surgical complications to the patient doing one surgery as opposed to two.  He did point out that revisions from band to sleeve have more complications than just getting a sleeve without having had any other surgery first, but did not feel there was a significant increase in risk in having it in one surgery as opposed to having two.  Good luck to you--it's a rollercoaster, right?  Supposed to have my revision in one week.

spiceygirl
on 4/24/13 11:27 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Thank you for your reply RTM. My doc does alot of WLS surgeries but I am not for certain on how many  revisions, I will research his stats on revisions anyway. A week is almost here for you, Yippeee!  I am excited for you. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/13 7:59 am

The Standard of Care in the US is to do it in one surgery.  Now, a revision surgeon would do it in one surgery due to fewer complications, one surgical risk, one anesthesia risk, one infection risk, etc.  Two surgeries- double the risk.  If someone is not a true revision surgeon (and sadly, most are not) they prefer two surgeries.  It costs you more but OTOH, they get to make double money. ;o)

Most Active