Is revision surgery done on the same day or at different times?

spiceygirl
on 4/20/13 7:38 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

I am having revision surgery from the band to the sleeve. What constitutes that it can be done in one phase or two?  If you have had it done in one phase or two, please share your experience with me. Thanks in advance.

Hislady
on 4/20/13 10:52 am - Vancouver, WA

It seems to depend on the surgeon and how much damage the band has done to the stomach. It seems many prefer to do it in 2 steps but I have a feeling it also depends on whether the doc can charge for 2 surgeries instead of one. Personally I believe if there isn't alot of damage from the band it should be done in one surgery.

spiceygirl
on 4/20/13 11:54 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Thank you HisLady for the reply. Im scheduled to have an Uper GI done in less than a week & my surgery is scheduled for May 3rd  to do the removal & the sleeve will be done 6 weeks after. 

iwin
on 4/20/13 12:48 pm

I had mine done  all  in one surgery,  I  got the band in 2004 just got a  revision 4-16-13  from band to sleeve.   I  did  have damage were the band had rested on my stomach.   It will depend more on your surgeon.     I  prefer   the one surgery.  

spiceygirl
on 4/20/13 2:09 pm - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Thank you "iwin",

I prefer all-in-one too but i guess its his preference. My doc performs performs all-in-one all the time, not sure why I am not a candidate for it. My insurance covers it 100% as a once-in-a-lifetime surgery, i just hope it covers the revision that will happen 2 months after the removal. I dont want to get any unknown charges after the fact.

Zee Starrlite
on 4/21/13 1:22 am

Hey Spiceygirl!

If you can, have your band removed first, let you insides heal, then get sleeved.  I could be completely wrong but it seems we that heal a bit have an easier time with our sleeved stomachs.  you by the way will love your sleeved stomach.

All best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

spiceygirl
on 4/21/13 11:45 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13
On April 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM Pacific Time, Zee Starrlite wrote:

Hey Spiceygirl!

If you can, have your band removed first, let you insides heal, then get sleeved.  I could be completely wrong but it seems we that heal a bit have an easier time with our sleeved stomachs.  you by the way will love your sleeved stomach.

All best,

Layla

Thanks for the input Zee! I really do appreciate it. Thanks!!!

TynettaM
on 5/14/13 3:35 am - Greensboro, NC

My Dr said the same thing.... Those that wait are more likely to have an easier time and reduces the risk of leaks.

It is up to the Dr.......a little wait never hurt anyone.....my wait was 3 months.....band removal 4/24/2013, sleeve mid July.....

so too much longer.....

From an insurance perspective, if you have surgery  done all in one or at two separate times.... the cost are similar....

I've see claims for both done at the same time and the are seriously high, they submit a claim for everything....

Sherrie P.
on 4/21/13 10:09 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I was band to RNY - but it was done all at the same time.  He warned me that if there was too much scar tissue  or if my tummy was too angry - that we would be looking at two surgeries. 

Best of luck to you!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

spiceygirl
on 4/21/13 11:50 am - austin, TX
VSG on 05/20/13

Thank you Sherrie,

I am sure I have 7 years worth of scar tissue especially with this slip, reflux, etc going on. Its looking like I will have it done in 2 since he scheduled them 6 weeks apart. That seems rather quick though. I will probably still be on liquids & mushy that entire time between surgeries and after

Most Active