I think I have gotten rid of my Reactive hypoglycemia!!

daisy19890
on 7/20/13 4:34 am

Hello anyone out there. I have a problem with reactive hypoglycemia. I am a little unique in that I had what was called a TOGA, it was a clinical trial for  what essentially is a sleeve gastrectomy, but they did it down my throat without cutting. My stomach is still intact, however they put a line of staples on the inside to create the sleeve. I see that a RNY can cause RH with dumping, but my stoma is still in place so that should be a cause. I am thinking maybe the staples affected nerves or something???? I am not sure what my next step should be. I want to go to an endocrinologist to figure out what's going on, but after getting the "eat more frequently" remedy from my primary I have little faith in doctors even caring to figure what is going on. Has anyone gotten a reason as to why a sleeve would cause hypoglycemia, exactly how it is affecting the sugar/insulin balance?

ashleyyy
on 12/23/16 7:31 am

Are you still RH free?! 

leatha_g
on 3/17/17 11:48 am - Abilene, TX

I was about to ask the same thing. I have a consult on next Tuesday regarding Reversal or Revision to Sleeve.

Honestly - I am not too concerned with actually gaining malabsorption at this point as I have such a hard time being compliant with vitamins - however, my Reactive Hypoglycemia has become far too risky and I want to avoid hurting myself or others, perhaps losing my license etc. If revising to the Sleeve is an option, with good results. That would be great. Otherwise, my option is reversal. I just need the freedom to make a mistake with foods and not wind up in the car with a seizure and all the risk and expense. :(

Please reply if you have updates regarding how you are doing with the hypoglycemia and the revision.

Thank you so much!

Leatha

NickM1267
on 10/5/17 8:05 am
RNY on 07/31/17

I was reading your post and was wondering if you ended up having a reversal? And if so how did it turn out?

leatha_g
on 10/13/17 11:09 am - Abilene, TX

Thank you for asking. No. I have done NOTHING basically, except to revise my life to accomodate the problem. I am no longer traveling full time for work. I eat only what I know is 'safe', which keeps me rather isolated and close to my living space. I carry apple juice, glucose etc wherever I go and have it handy in my home in the event something varies off, which does, simply because I am human and don't want to live on brussel sprouts and chicken. I don't necessary want a revision, but I do wished there were some answer to allow for actually 'living' in the real world, instead of being chained to my own cupboards and refrigerator. :(

NickM1267
on 10/13/17 11:41 am
RNY on 07/31/17

Sorry to hear. Are you going to try to have a reversal in the future. I know a few people that by having the reversal it got rid of their RH

Laura C.
on 10/16/17 9:37 am - Carbondale, PA

I've made my way back to this board after a few years. RNY done 07/10/07. Initial weight was 250 lost 110 pounds down to 140. I have been having severe hypoglycemia issues for the past 4-5 years. Recently I have become so unaware my sugars have gotten down to as low as 27 before I realized it was dropping. Along with that I cant get my B12 or my Vit D levels to anything that resembles normal, no matter how much I am supplementing including bi-weekly B12 shots. I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist a few months ago. After seeing her she ordered tests and decided my problem was reactive. She also decided that it is basically my fault because I don't eat right, even after she sent me to see nutrition who said I am still doing everything right. I basically forced the endocrinologist to give me a referral to surgery.

I have gained 25 pounds in the past year. The bariatric surgery program at my VA is very new so they called the Pittsburgh VA who have had the program for years. Pittsburgh said they don't do revisions there, but told them to order me an upper GI series with Lower bowel as well so they can rule out problems. I went for that study last week and just got the call this morning that my study revealed that I have a fistula along my staple line. So it is allowing food to enter my original stomach instead of staying within the bypass. The surgeons at Pitt aren't available today so I don't know where anything is going to go from here. I should know something tomorrow afternoon. It is encouraging to see that revisions have helped other people with the same issues.

baby
Most Active