I think I have gotten rid of my Reactive hypoglycemia!!

vbruce5366
on 4/22/13 12:17 am - MS

I had my revision from RNY to sleeve Feb 27th...I has one surgery and that was to connect my stomach back,fix my hiatial hernia and also complete the sleeve... It was a very complicated surgery but went fairly uneventful until post op when we realized I had a stricture in the area of the repair... I have been dilated twice to a diameter of 15mm and that is as far as he can safely dilate to. So in the future I have to have another surgery to open up that stricture. I have no problem drinking fluids and am able to get down protein thru supplements..My challenge is to get down food at any stage higher then mushies...but that being said I would do this again in a heart beat!! since leaving the hospital I have not had any fluctuations in blood sugars NONE!! my dumping is gone and so is reactive hypoglycemia...I know that I have one further procedure to open up that stricture but in the big picture and with the way I was living for the past two years this is very manageable!  I wonder why your surgeon would do this in two procedures? My surgeon was very experienced in all kinds of bariatric procedures and I think this aided in him being able to successfully do this revision...please please keep in touch I would love to see how you are doing...there are so few of us with this type of revision that I am interested in the long term results....

Vicki Jo

Charmed1
on 4/22/13 7:08 am - MD

Hi again vbruce5366, My Dr is very cautious & careful and his track record for complications is incredibly low. He says by rejoining the stomach & allowing it time to heal he can then go in & do the sleeve with much less complications than the more complicated version like you had. I'd rather get it all done at once but I trust him implicitly.  Was your stricture at the stoma or elsewhere? How much more weight do you hope to lose AND what stats have you seen or read that show the percentage/success after the revision?  Sorry to ask you so much but I can't decide yet if this is the option I will go with----my stubborn self still wants to lose this myself but I have more than 150 lbs still to lose. I kinda look at this as a 2nd chance at this. By knowing what I did wrong the first time I do believe I'll be sucessful this time because I realized fixing my head was much more important than altering my body.  Thru this new therapy I'm doing (EMDR) it has helped lessen my urges. My weight has been stable for 8 months (amazing!) and I have started to lose the last couple of months but this excess weight is overwhelming and hurting by body. I hope, for you, that the hypoglycemia doesn't return. Do you have no appetite like with RNY? Do you have to remember to eat? Oh, Wwill you still have to take massive vitamins?---I forgot to ask my Dr that. Thanks, Jane

vbruce5366
on 4/22/13 11:09 pm - MS

My stricture is located on the staple line of where the old pouch used to be and my stomach was reattached. There really wasn't anything he could do as I am prone to strictures and had to have 4 dilatations with my RNY procedure in 2007. I am also prone to adhesions( found this out by having two C-sections) which we were both aware of and knew going into this revision. I do have to take supplements as I am not getting enough vitamins and or nutrition with my diet as of yet. But in the future just a B-12 and calcium no protein supplements if my diet is adequate. I was 350 when I had my RNY in 07 loosing down to 170 a slow steady regain( up to 250 lbs) in 2010 after getting diagnosed with Reactive hypoglycemia because as you know it is hard to keep sugars regulated causing us to eat more...So surgery date I was 255 and I am currently 220 my  weight loss total is 35 in 7 weeks..I was told  that the weight loss will be slower this time around and I agree it has been slower ,the majority of that was the first 3 weeks when I was on clear liquids...My surgeon has told me that I will loose majority of my excess weight but with loosing at such a slow rate I know it will take awhile...I do not know of another person who got this revision and would love to hear from anyone who had this in the past as I don't know how it will effect us in the long run.. Please keep in touch and best of luck with your choice of revision!!!!

tnmomo20
on 4/23/13 11:24 am

I am trying to find a surgeon who would do a revision. I had Gastric By-Pass in 1999. My surgery was complicated, due to ulcer surgery in 1985. The surgeon said he could not do the surgery as he normally did and did not know if it was going to be a success. I weighed 274 pounds at the time. I lost 40 pounds.  I today weigh 235 pounds.I am only 5.0 tall. I also have lot of medical issues due to my weight. I am not sure if a revision is possible but would like any information anyone might have on a surgeon that might be able to help. Thanks to any information possible.

vbruce5366
on 4/24/13 4:19 am - MS

To Tnmomo20 ..... Please please do your research in finding the right doctor for you.. I spent years searching and found a doctor that I have the upmost faith in!! It was a bariatric centers of excellence that I actually went to for my 2007 RNY and was butchered by that surgeon who now has multiple malpractice suits against him and can no longer practice... I never cared for him or his bedside manor and knew in my gut that something was wrong but ignored my feelings because he was well known and also head of the bariatric  center of excellence.....My current surgeon Dr.Clark Warden was someone I knew instantly was educated and competent and met with me time and time again to answer questions, and even was calling me at home ( I live three hours away) to ensure that I was recovering okay!! With any revision you must have a surgeon that is well experienced and skill have to be above board since to revise takes more skill then first surgery...Seek your answers on this board as there are many of us here that use these boards to cope, for support and also to educate...

ashleyyy
on 10/9/16 2:54 am

Where is dr Clark warden located?

MsBatt
on 5/2/13 6:34 am

With 150 pounds still left to lose, I strongly urge you to look into getting the full DS, not just the Sleeve. Here's a link to a post that lists the surgeons qualified to do this very complicated revision: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/4599894/RNY-to-DS -revision-surgeons/

The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that provides permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of calories. This is why the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

tnmomo20
on 4/24/13 12:51 pm

I'm not sure how to use this board really, but someone answered me and I am so glad to know there are people out here that seem to care about others. I am looking for a doctor in Arizona who does revisions. I have tried to find a doctor, but I don't know how to check on them to see if they are good doctors or not. I have spoken to people who said that they were butcherd by the surgeon for life. I don't want to be one of those. If there is anyone out there who knows anything about here in Arizona please let me know.

annapedziwiatr
on 5/2/13 3:13 am - Glendale, AZ
I live in Glendale, AZ. I am 16 days post-op revision of my RNY for marginal ulcers. I have esophagus to intestine (no pouch at all) & partial gastrectomy. I am down 22#s since sx. I had the rerevision because I had 5 GI bleeds & could no longer control my ulcers with meds. I see Dr. Podkemeni @ Banner Gateway. He specializes in revision.
Tracy Ta Da
on 5/17/13 6:25 am - Hurst, TX

I am considering this but I hear its a bear and you miss a lot of work, etc. 

I would love to know details.  I too have terrible hypoglycemia and it sometimes causes me to gorge myself. :-(

thanks

Most Active