I think I have gotten rid of my Reactive hypoglycemia!!

vbruce5366
on 4/15/13 5:05 am - MS

I had a revision from Roux-en-Y to a sleeve by the BEST surgeon Dr.Clark Warden ... 7 weeks post op and not one dump or problem with my blood sugar!! I can not believe that after two years of hell this might have  worked...Please to anyone going thru severe reactive hypoglycemia please know there may be hope out there for us!!

pineview01
on 4/15/13 3:29 pm - Davison, MI

Yeah!  Glad the sleeve is working for you.  Did they take down your RNY including rerouting before doing the sleeve?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

ktheis
on 4/15/13 7:23 pm - Turlock, CA

O man, that is just awesome! I did NOT know what was going on with me for the longest time. I actually thought I was dying....I just knew I was in serious trouble and nobody could help me. Finally, my endocrinologist diagnosed me...Over the phone...while I was in Hawaii, lol! Drs have lost all my trust, thats all I can say....they love to act like they know everything and refuse to say "i dont know"....grrrr...anyway, I found out what was happening and Ive been pretty much ok since....as long as I get plenty of protein....today, I had a low blood sugar...but we have taken to carrying little bottles of sunny delight everywhere I go. I was at the post office....I hate that feeling....shakey, confused, just awful! And I go really low!

I have a new surgeon and he is going to revise my roux en y.....I have a hiatal hernia, and I also have gained 35lbs....so this wonderful man (not like the others) is going to help me....I wonder if my reactive hypoglycemia will go away? Do I have to have a sleeve to make it work? :(

Kim

vbruce5366
on 4/15/13 11:17 pm - MS

Yes they completely took down my Roux-en-Y and replaced my stomach to original site then made in into a sleeve. I am so blessed to have the chance. Most of the surgeons  I went to refused to even consider going in for a revision due to reactive hypo. I am driving again !!! I am crossing my fingers to hope this works long term... 

Linda_S
on 4/17/13 3:13 am - Eugene, OR

So good to hear!  I'm working on getting my ducks in a row now to have a revision.  I think I would prefer going to a DS, but we'll see what the docs and my insurance will bear.  I am so tired of protein and salad.  I even nodded off (unable to keep my eyes open) yesterday after eating chicken wings with nothing but rosemary and garlic on them!  I'm running out of things to eat that don't knock me out.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Pattycake1947
on 4/18/13 5:47 am - Boyd, TX

I had the VBG 13 years ago and I'm hoping to have the RNY in June. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia 3 years ago. I have put on 80 pounds in the past couple of years. I have been so worried that I may have it worse later. I'm so glad to read your post about not having it anymore. Maybe there's hope for me yet. Would love for you to keep me posted on how you're doing.

Pat

MsBatt
on 4/18/13 10:35 am

Well, getting an RNY is probably going to make you RA worse, not better. You should really consider getting either a Sleeve or a DS, as they preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function. And the DS has the very BEST long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

Linda_S
on 4/24/13 2:36 pm - Eugene, OR

Patty - I agree with Ms. Batt.  DO NOT have an RNY!  I'm looking at a revision to DS or a sleeve.  I've had blood sugar as low as 23 with this stupid RNY.  Granted, I've not had a huge weight re-gain, but I'm sick nearly every time I eat and I'm basically down to the Paleo Diet.  I can't have anything starchy.  Protein and greens are my main diet.  I can't even eat fruit anymore.  If you already have the hypoglycemia, don't go there.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

vbruce5366
on 4/19/13 1:31 am - MS

I have to agree having the RNY will most likely make your reactive hypoglycemia worse. I had mine in 2007 and had no problems until 2010 then it went downhill from there!! I am a nurse also who has educated myself on this and with all that I have learned I can not in good faith recommend a RNY as the potential for hypoglycemia is bigger then people are aware of....Please sit down and talk with your surgeon and a knowledgeable endocrinologist before doing any revision!! 

Charmed1
on 4/20/13 12:19 pm - MD

To vbruce5366, I am doing my pre-surgical Dr appts to get clearance to revise my RNY to the Sleeve. My DR wants to do this thru 2 separate surgeries 6 weeks apart....First to rejoin my stomach to the pouch, then do the sleeve surgery.   Was your journey the same AND please tell me what benefits you're seeing since the revision and how was your recovery?   I had the RNY in 2006....lost 180 lbs but over the past few years have gained a good bit back and I have had more problems with hypoglycemia as you have. What did you learn from the endo. that was of value to you?  Thanks....I am wary of this revision & would love to hear your experience.

Most Active