I'm so tired of this band. Finding a new a surgeon tomorrow.

aces70
on 4/14/13 2:20 am - TX

I've posted here before about my issues but this time I'm seriously fed up. I'm going to find a new surgeon tomorrow that specializes in weight loss surgeries. 

I had my band placed in August 2010 by a general surgeon. I have gotten down to 160 from 232, which is great BUT I have so many issues. Every time my allergies flare up my band tightens to the point that I can't keep down foods or liquids which leads to me getting dehydrated. I end up with extreme weakness, chills and body aches. I can't take my daily medications that I still need, like my thyroid medicine. Then I go get a slight unfill and when my allergies get better and all the swelling in my band goes down I'm starving again and have no restriction at all. So then I go back and get more fluid put in which causes extreme swelling, because my band is finicky, then I'm too tight and on liquids again for 2 weeks while I wait on the swelling to go down. 

I also have sleep apnea and I wear a full face mask. TMI but last night I threw up in my sleep into my mask:( I felt like I was drowning. 

I cannot keep going like this. I never know from day to day if I will be able to eat or not. If I can't eat and have to do soft foods I'm hungry all the time and soft foods aren't always the healthiest anyway. 

What is your experience? My insurance paid for my band and they have no exclusions on how many weight loss surgeries they will cover. It's a case by case basis. What do you think my chances are of getting a sleeve and having them cover it? 

I can only get insurance to pay if I use an in network physician and this time I'm looking at a couple that are at Centers of Excellence. I want the best care I can get this time. 

Also, my surgeon thinks I may have some esophageal dialation, which he feels is no big deal and when I'm tight and need an unfill I just have to wait for his next available appointment and he only sees patients on Monday and Tuesday, that's it.

Sometimes during the day when I take my vitamins, or even something like a tylenol for a headache I get this intense burning pain for 30-45 minutes that I assume is in my pouch or maybe irritation to my band? I'm not sure. 

My mother is scolding me because she thinks I should just shut up, make do and be happy with it since most people do not even have a chance at weight loss surgery. Sigh.

Hislady
on 4/14/13 3:40 am - Vancouver, WA

I would normally not say this but DO NOT listen to your doc or mother!!! You can die from vomitting in your sleep and if you are having burning and esophogeal damage you need that band out as soon as possible before you end up with permanent damage as so many others have. The band is very dangerous and has nearly killed several people. Find a good revision surgeon and get that thing out of there before it kills you!!!

pineview01
on 4/14/13 2:37 pm - Davison, MI

Esophageal dilation is a big deal!  I had it happen at 1 year, total unfill for 6 weeks, at 2 years and a total unfill for 8 weeks.  It lead to the night vomiting and drowning.

I had all this documented for 2.5 years and won a 1 per lifetime so you should have not problems with your insurance.  I did have to use a COE in my network and only one did sleeves.  

Get that band out right away and you will feel so much better.  Even if you have to wait for the sleeve (which I am now glad I had to and recommend.)

I agree, don't listen to your Mother in this case.  She doesn't really understand what you are going thru.

aces70
on 4/14/13 11:07 pm - TX
Okay the doctor I want to use is in my network still. Yay!!

They said to have my primary doc do an upper GI and then they can get me scheduled.

Will an upper GI show any and all problems with my band??
aces70
on 4/14/13 11:21 pm - TX
Also, my PCP will order it for me but
would it be better to ask my surgeon? I wouldn't tell him it was for a second opinion, just tell him I want it done since I'm having so many problems?
pineview01
on 4/15/13 3:20 pm - Davison, MI

No an upper GI will not show all problems with the band.  Many of us had upper GI's that showed perfect bands.  Only to have scopes that showed problems.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sandy M.
on 4/16/13 9:15 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

The Upper GI will show how tight the band is, and more importantly, it'll show if you have acid reflux, which is a common complication with the band.  Acid reflux (and a hernia) were the key facts to get my insurance company to pay for a revision since they show that the band has failed.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

aces70
on 4/15/13 9:48 pm, edited 4/16/13 7:07 am - TX
Hmm, why is he just wanting an upper GI then and nothing else?
Stephanie M.
on 4/16/13 9:16 am

It will show esophageal dilation.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

ButterflyAna
on 4/16/13 1:43 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Okay take a breath. It will get better.

I have been where you are but much worse. Do not take it. I took it for nearly 5 years, I did not feel good. I threw up every day several times a day, I passed out often. Was hospilized twice for sever hydryation, I could not even talk. I like your mom, felt like I should just suck it up. I could not even eat 850 calories a day and could loose no weight at all. I had horrible acid reflux, Which is what you are dealing with. Get on omerprazole right away. It makes all the difference in the world.

Fight for yourself because no one else is. Call your insurance and ask for a case manager, they will help you. It is because of her I no longer have the band instead have the sleeve. I was annoyed at first but I am glad I made the change. I feel so much better. It is by no means perfect. I am still throwing up but not as much and I know that will eventually end.

Good Luck ------- Fight for yourself.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

Most Active